none
Timeout of web request on website on windows azure.

Question

• Hi, Buddy.

I met a problem like that Timeout of web request on website on windows azure.

The situation is that:

1 I deploy a website on windows azure.

2 when user send a web request by click a linkbutton.  This request indeed needs a long time to process, such as: 5mins.

3 Then user get timeout response. but I have set the timeout of IIS to 20mins by "Behavior -> Connection Limits -> Connection Time-out(Seconds) = 1200". 20Mins really longer than the processing time.

4 The strange thing is that:

If I login VM of this machine, access this page by internal IP, such as: 10.211.*.*/****, this page can show, although it really be slow, but this page can show.

If I login VM of this machine, access this page by external IP, such as: 94.245.*.*/****, this page will show timeout:

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

If I access this page by DNS, such as: ***.cloudapp.net/***,this page will show timeout:

"Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage"

I find some friends said it's because the timeout limit of LoadBalance. But I'm not sure about that.

1 If the processing time is longer than the limit of load balance. How can I handle it?

2 what's the difference between acess webpage by internal IP and access webpage by external IP. Did the access by internal IP not pass through load balance?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Thursday, September 08, 2011 10:27 AM

Answers

• The load balancer will supposedly kill any idle conneciton that lasts longer than 60 seconds. The recommend approach is to use some kind of call-back or async polling for long running processes. Possibly even leverage things like queues to help with notification.
    • Marked as answer by 王维国 Friday, September 09, 2011 11:23 AM
    Thursday, September 08, 2011 7:07 PM