none
Azure websites and virtual directories

Question

• Hey!

I know that in AZure web role you could have a website and virtual directories (Virtual Application).

but how do i do it on the new web site feature?

I have websites on windows server 2003 iis 6. asp .net 2 and 4 and they all have virtual directories (Virtual Application) under them.

how do i migrate to the new windows azure website feature?

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:43 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You would create a Web Site for each application.  In the free tier of service, you can create up to 10 web sites; in Reserved Instances you can create up to 100.

Hope this helps!

Ryan

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:55 PM
    Owner
  • but i don't want to create a web site for each app.

i want it as it is on IIS.

i want to create a web site and under that a few virtual apps.

that is what i am asking... can i do that in the new features?

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Hi,

If separate app roots are required, then no - the new product does not support that feature.  

Why is creating a web site for each application a problem?

Ryan

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 10:41 PM
    Owner
  •  

First of all, thank you for your replay.

and why is it a problem? because they are part of the parent application and changing that will need us to change the code in a fundamental way that it's not cost affective if we need to change it so we can work with azure (and because the boss said).

that is why we are asking and checking everywhere we can (and by “we” I mean me).

if we come to the conclusion that Azure can't give us that then we will live it and try to find something that can.

But in the mean time I really hope that it can because I like Azure more than the competition.

So, who can give me a straight and knowledgeable answer?

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:12 AM
  • Hi,

Sorry if my previous answer was unclear - we don't support multiple app roots for virtual directories.

Thanks!

Ryan

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:26 AM
    Owner
  • Will you in the future?
    Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:35 AM
  • We have no plans to add this feature at this time.  

If you need this type of functionality, you may want to run IIS in the new persistent Azure Virtual Machines.  In Azure Virtual Machines, you have full control of the server and can configure it however you like.

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 4:26 PM
    Owner
  • Still no support for virtual directories/virtual applications?
    Wednesday, November 06, 2013 11:08 AM