none
What type of Azure service should be used?

Question

• Hi,

I would like to setup a system to let a user to create an account, logon from some client front end. eg. desktop, mobile or web.

The client will talk to a central database (eg. to store some of the client info or perform some CRUD on the db).

What type of Azure service is right for this setup?

Thanks.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 3:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• You could use ACS (Access Control Service, part of Windows Azure Active Directory).  That would let users interact with social providers like Facebook, Google, Windows Live, and Yahoo!

If you need to interact with a database, you could alway go with an ASP.NET membership provider that stores data in SQL Database.  This is basically the same as you'd do it with an on-premises solution.

If you want to use both a membership provider w/ SQL Database and a social provider, ACS would probably be a good option.

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 5:50 PM
  • i think the second option is right for me as i don't need to interact with social provider.

So if using ASP.net membership and SQL Db, what type of Azure service do I need to setup? Do i need a web service, a sql service, cloud service or a combination?

I don't know which to choose.

thanks

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:39 PM
  • The easiest way to get started would be to create a Windows Azure Web Site - https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/home/scenarios/web-sites/.  You can easily create an ASP.NET site and use the SQL Membership provider.

You'll also want to create a SQL Database to use - https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/home/features/data-management/

• Marked as answer by jameslcs Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:39 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 1:19 AM
  • thanks for your help.
    • Marked as answer by jameslcs Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:39 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by jameslcs Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:39 AM
    Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:39 AM