none
Moving from a free tier to a paid tier in Azure DataMarket

Question

• I'm currently using a free subscription to the Bing Search API (max 5,000 transactions/month).  What I'd like to do is have the flexibility of scaling up to a paid tier when I need more transactions, and scaling back down to the free tier when I don't need them.  
    However, when I try to go and upgrade to the first paid tier for Bing Search API (10,000 transactions), I get the following message:

"You already have an active subscription to this offer. Are you sure you want to proceed? If you change your subscription, your old subscription will be cancelled and you will not be able to use your remaining transaction balance."

Does this mean that I can't move from a free tier to a paid tier without cancelling my current subscription?  It sounds like my options are:

1) choose a free tier and hope my transactions never exceed 5,000

2) choose a paid tier and always pay a certain minimum amount per month (currently $20.64 for 10K transactions)

Is this a correct interpretation?  Or am I misunderstanding things?

Friday, December 20, 2013 6:29 AM

Answers

• Hi Chris,

This is correct interpretation. The purpose of free tier (as covered by terms of use of the API) is mostly for trial and non-profit organizations support.

Whenever you need to use this API for more than 5,000 transactions, you are supposed to choose a paid tier (and use auto-refill option if you are concerned of going above given transaction tier).

Thanks,

Max

Sunday, December 22, 2013 6:52 AM

All replies

• Hi Chris,

For safety and accurately purposes, I suggest you contact our azure support team to get more detail :

Support Channel:

Please contact support team by creating a support ticket at http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/support/contact/

Or if that doesn't work because you don't have an active subscription you will need to contact general customer support to have them create a support ticket for you http://support.microsoft.com/gp/customer-service-phone-numbers?wa=wsignin1.0

Regards,

Thanks.

Will

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Friday, December 20, 2013 9:56 AM
  • Hi Chris,

This is correct interpretation. The purpose of free tier (as covered by terms of use of the API) is mostly for trial and non-profit organizations support.

Whenever you need to use this API for more than 5,000 transactions, you are supposed to choose a paid tier (and use auto-refill option if you are concerned of going above given transaction tier).

Thanks,

Max

Sunday, December 22, 2013 6:52 AM