none
Windows Azure cannot perform a VIP swap between deployments that have a different number of endpoints.

Question

• Scenario:

- Deployed a 2 instance web role to Production

- Deleted 1 instance from Production, web role now contains 1 instance

- Deployed 1 instance to Staging

- Attempt to VIP swap staging and production results in the above error message

Why wouldn't this work?

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 3:55 PM

Answers

• Number of instances is specified in cscfg file. So I dont think that would cause this error. This error would occur, if you have difference in number of end points for any role in your csdef file between production and staging. Can you doubel check this?

HTH.

Please mark it as answer by clicking on "Propose As Answer", if it helps. My Blog : http://dotnetizen.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:21 PM
  • It has not been possible to change the number of endpoints in a deployed service - until today. Microsoft has just announced- like 2 minutes ago - the possibility to do an in-place upgrade changing the number of endpoints. However, you can't change the number of endpoints in a VIP swap - presumably because a VIP swap only swaps the internal IP addresses (and doesn't create new public IP addresses.)
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:32 PM

All replies

• Number of instances is specified in cscfg file. So I dont think that would cause this error. This error would occur, if you have difference in number of end points for any role in your csdef file between production and staging. Can you doubel check this?

HTH.

Please mark it as answer by clicking on "Propose As Answer", if it helps. My Blog : http://dotnetizen.blogspot.com
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:21 PM
  • It has not been possible to change the number of endpoints in a deployed service - until today. Microsoft has just announced- like 2 minutes ago - the possibility to do an in-place upgrade changing the number of endpoints. However, you can't change the number of endpoints in a VIP swap - presumably because a VIP swap only swaps the internal IP addresses (and doesn't create new public IP addresses.)
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 4:32 PM