none
Bing News Search - Finding Oldest Entry

Question

• I'm try to query the news feed to look for a search term's oldest occurrence. Any ideas on how I could do this?

I've been thinking along the following lines.

1. Search & skip

Here, I try a composite search, find the total number of entries & use it in the skip attribute. Unfortunately, there's a cap on skip set @ 1000. Is there a way around this?

2. Sort results by date asc

Self explanatory. First entry would be oldest.

Would highly appreciate any inputs

Thanks

Rahul

Thursday, October 24, 2013 3:04 PM

Answers

• Hi recklessrahul,

>>Here, I try a composite search, find the total number of entries & use it in the skip attribute. Unfortunately, there's a cap on skip set @ 1000. Is there a way around this?

If the result number is larger than 1000, do you try skip 1000 then take 1000 to get the second 1000 data?

>>Self explanatory. First entry would be oldest.

The Bing search API is pretty vague in terms of limiting results and what you can and cannot use. After testing various words and placement to try and get date to work, I'm fairly certain that there is not a way to use a date to narrow results.

Best Regards

Friday, October 25, 2013 9:57 AM
  • Hi recklessrahul,

>>skip doesn't accept a value greater than 1000.

I have tried a demo before, and I use skip value greater than 1000, such as following code, it runs well.

IEnumerable<CityCrime> query = context.CityCrime.Skip(1001).Take(100);

The whole code link is: http://sdrv.ms/1dHdlG9

If any further issue, I suggest you contact that Bing support team.

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:34 AM

All replies

• Hi recklessrahul,

>>Here, I try a composite search, find the total number of entries & use it in the skip attribute. Unfortunately, there's a cap on skip set @ 1000. Is there a way around this?

If the result number is larger than 1000, do you try skip 1000 then take 1000 to get the second 1000 data?

>>Self explanatory. First entry would be oldest.

The Bing search API is pretty vague in terms of limiting results and what you can and cannot use. After testing various words and placement to try and get date to work, I'm fairly certain that there is not a way to use a date to narrow results.

Best Regards

Friday, October 25, 2013 9:57 AM
  • Hi Blazy,

Thanks for your response.

>>If the result number is larger than 1000, do you try skip 1000 then take 1000 to get the second 1000 data?

I use the first result to ascertain the number of results & then use skip. For example, if there are 5000 results, I could use skip=4999 to form another request & access the last result. This doesn't work though as skip doesn't accept a value greater than 1000.

The whole point is to reach the oldest possible news result

Thanks 

Rahul

Friday, October 25, 2013 10:41 AM
  • Hi recklessrahul,

>>skip doesn't accept a value greater than 1000.

I have tried a demo before, and I use skip value greater than 1000, such as following code, it runs well.

IEnumerable<CityCrime> query = context.CityCrime.Skip(1001).Take(100);

The whole code link is: http://sdrv.ms/1dHdlG9

If any further issue, I suggest you contact that Bing support team.

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 29, 2013 9:34 AM