none
.net 4.5 beta in Azure

Question

• Has anyone seen official word if we'll be able to deploy VS 11 and .net 4.5 beta projects to Azure?

I know the beta comes with a golive license and is compatible with Windows 7 and 2008 R2. I'm kind of assuming VS 11 will allow for deployment to Azure but was hoping to find official word.

DG

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 2:51 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Derek,

Here is some official word,which boosts you hope of using VS 11 and .NET 4.5 beta.This press note was released just 5 days ago.

In Short 

The .NET Framework 4.5 enables developers to productively build responsive, scalable and efficient client and server applications. “Developers building services for Windows Server and Windows Azure will get the tools they need to effectively harness the power of the cloud,” Somasegar said.

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2012/feb12/02-23VisualStudioBetaPreview.mspx

--VMac---

Wednesday, February 29, 2012 6:07 AM
  • Unfortunately that looks like a forward looking statement about the framework in general. I have yet to find any information about when Azure tools will be made available for VS 11 or when Azure will support .net 4.5.

DG

Tuesday, March 06, 2012 3:55 AM
  • Hi,

The lastest Azure SDK is not support VS11 yet, but you can install VS2010 in Windows 8 OS for Windows Azure Library.

Hope it can help you.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Friday, March 09, 2012 9:42 AM
  • Hi,

The lastest Azure SDK is not support VS11 yet, but you can install VS2010 in Windows 8 OS for Windows Azure Library.

Hope it can help you.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

This won't accomplish anything as you can't dev .net 4.5 apps with VS 2010, and even if you did, when you deploy to Azure with anything other than .net 3.5 or 4, you get an error that it's "not supported", because I tried a number of workarounds to deploy with the EF CTP. Ultimately I'm after spatial data types in EF, that's why I need to use the .net beta. It's insanely ridiculous that SQL has supported the data types for over a year, but EF still needs .net to be updated. 

DG

Sunday, March 11, 2012 8:35 AM
  • I have a workaround for the EF CTP for Spatial on Azure. It isn't pretty, but contact me and I can walk you through it.
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 9:35 PM
  • Hi FivePM Technology, really interested in your workaround, have you got it on blog somewhere?
    Tuesday, June 12, 2012 8:58 PM
  • I'd love to see a workaround. Thanks in advance!
    Thursday, September 20, 2012 11:52 PM