none
Azure Storage Client for Windows Phone 8

Question

• I am trying to build a windows phone 8 app that uploads images to the azure blob storage however, the libraries for blob storage don't seem to have been updated to support windows phone 8.

Are there any supported ways to access Azure Blob storage for Windows Phone 8?

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 9:17 AM

Answers

• I was able to get the old NuGet package Phone.Storage to work with windows phone 8. (with a little fix)

After installing the package I had some errors with the App.xaml file. The main issue with moving the sample from WP7 to WP8 is the SilverlightActivator package that Phone.Storage uses. This assembly is used to run a method when the application starts up, but doesn't seem to play well with WP8. So all I had to do was remove the reference to SilverlightActivator from the project and remove the first line of the StorageInitializer.cs file that registers the Application Startup Method. Now all you have to do is make sure you call ApplicationStartup() yourself when the app starts up and all should be well in the world.

NOTE: you could also have StorageInitializer implement IApplicationService and then register the Resolver in StartService().

Friday, February 08, 2013 4:03 AM

All replies

• Hi,

You can do it. Here is the simple video sample for uploading image from Windows Phone 8 to Azure using blob storage:

http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/windowsazure/learn/Using-Windows-Azure-Storage-on-Windows-Phone

Thanks,

QinDian Tang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 06, 2012 2:23 AM
  • The example in the video shows Windows Phone 7 and not Windows Phone 8 doesn't it?

I have a Windows Phone 7 app running well with Windows Azure Storage (Table, Queue, Blob) and it is using Microsoft.Samples.WindowsPhoneCloud.StorageClient and Microsoft.Samples.Data.Services.Client.

I used this sample in the Windows 8 emulator and using Windows Phone 7 as the target version in VS2012. It was running also successfully.

Now I tried to compile it with Windows Phone 8 target in VS 2012. Also successful!

Now I started the sample. It crashed very early when it tried to access Azure Table Storage and fill the Items of the Table into an ObservableCollection. 

I have no idea why it crashed. But I am unsure which combination of StorageClient and Data.Services.Client is the right one for Windows Phone 8.

I tried then to use the System.Data.Services.Client from Nuget with the Package Manager Console and tried to bring it to run with the Microsoft.Samples.WindowsPhoneCloud.StorageClient from above, but this was also not successful finally. The reason was that the Microsoft.Samples.WindowsPhoneCloud.StorageClient internally is dependent on Microsoft.Samples.Data.Services.Client.

Next I tried to use the new StorageClient 2.0 which I got to run on Windows 8. But it sucked also,

becuase it needs Microsoft.Data.Edm 5.0.2 for oData, but that is not compatible with Windows Phone 8 as the error message indicated when using VS2012 package manager as I did before in a Windows 8 project successfully.

Does anybody know what StorageClient and what Data.Services.Client is needed for Windows Phone 8 projects?

Urgent help is appreciated!

It is really a nightmare ...

• Proposed as answer by Karlheinz Dorn Monday, December 24, 2012 10:29 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Karlheinz Dorn Monday, December 24, 2012 10:29 AM
    Friday, December 14, 2012 5:48 PM
  • Did you have any luck figuring this out?

Lightning Tools - check out our SharePoint tools and web parts

Saturday, January 19, 2013 5:42 PM
  • Haven't figured it out.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:31 PM
  • Hi,

If the reply doesn't help, feel free to unmark it as what presents in my signature.

You may try the Windows Azure Mobile Services SDK for Windows Phone 8. Have a look at this sample from github:

https://github.com/WindowsAzure-Samples/build-wp8-win8-storage-location-push

You can also ask question there or leave requests. Also try the Windoes Phone Dev Center:

https://dev.windowsphone.com/en-us/community

Thanks,

QinDian Tang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, January 24, 2013 1:57 AM
  • The  Windows Azure Mobile Services are not really a helpful solution because they need server side code. The solution on WP7 did make the work without server side code! 

Any help is appreciated!

Monday, February 04, 2013 8:13 PM
  • I was able to get the old NuGet package Phone.Storage to work with windows phone 8. (with a little fix)

After installing the package I had some errors with the App.xaml file. The main issue with moving the sample from WP7 to WP8 is the SilverlightActivator package that Phone.Storage uses. This assembly is used to run a method when the application starts up, but doesn't seem to play well with WP8. So all I had to do was remove the reference to SilverlightActivator from the project and remove the first line of the StorageInitializer.cs file that registers the Application Startup Method. Now all you have to do is make sure you call ApplicationStartup() yourself when the app starts up and all should be well in the world.

NOTE: you could also have StorageInitializer implement IApplicationService and then register the Resolver in StartService().

Friday, February 08, 2013 4:03 AM
  • Hi

Can you please reply which version on Nuget Phone.Storage package did you installed for Windows 8 Phone app

Its Windows Phone 1.0.1 or 1.0.0

Thanks

Saravanan G

• Edited by Saravanan G Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:24 AM
    Tuesday, February 19, 2013 7:24 AM
  • In the Package Manager just run this:

PM> Install-Package Phone.Storage -Version 1.0.1

Hope that helps.

S.

Saturday, July 20, 2013 8:43 PM
  • Just found this.

In the package manager console, do this: