none
Trying to create a new SQL Azure database, but "North Central US" is not available in the list of regions

Question

• Any ideas?  Is adding new DBs to North Central currently disabled?

I have already created storage, cache and ACS services in North Central and would really like to have my Compute and DB in the same region.

To be clear, the problem is that the option is simply missing from the drop down.  I see all other regions (South Central US, Europe, Asia)

Update: I tried from another entirely separate Azure subscription and it has the same problem.

• Edited by ProVega Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:15 PM Typo + update
    Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:07 PM

Answers

• It's been strongly hinted to me by some people who would know that North Central US is the busiest, most popular data center in the Azure system. It also is one of the oldest, which means it does not have the latest and/or greatest hardware. 

All of which means that reliability and performance problems will most likely manifest there before the other data centers. Witness the fact that there were intermittent SQL Azure issues there for most of January, and there have been Azure Storage issues twice in the last 7 days. 

We've strongly considered making the non-trivial effort of migrating our running, production apps just to get out of North Central. 

My point is - they may be doing you a favor. Take the hint. Use a different data center. 

Friday, March 09, 2012 12:32 AM
  • I saw that issue too. In the end I created my server using the management REST API where the North Central optional worked OK.

Myles Jeffery | Office 365 MVP | Try My File Migration Tool for Office 365 SharePoint Online

Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:17 PM

All replies

• I saw that issue too. In the end I created my server using the management REST API where the North Central optional worked OK.

Myles Jeffery | Office 365 MVP | Try My File Migration Tool for Office 365 SharePoint Online

Thursday, March 08, 2012 11:17 PM
  • It's been strongly hinted to me by some people who would know that North Central US is the busiest, most popular data center in the Azure system. It also is one of the oldest, which means it does not have the latest and/or greatest hardware. 

All of which means that reliability and performance problems will most likely manifest there before the other data centers. Witness the fact that there were intermittent SQL Azure issues there for most of January, and there have been Azure Storage issues twice in the last 7 days. 

We've strongly considered making the non-trivial effort of migrating our running, production apps just to get out of North Central. 

My point is - they may be doing you a favor. Take the hint. Use a different data center. 

Friday, March 09, 2012 12:32 AM
  • That's absurd because applications deployed in North Central now have to suffer the latency of inter-datacenter communications. I used to have my whole app in North Central but now I'm stuck with the application in North and the DB in South Central. #annoying!
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 5:49 PM
  • We've experienced availability issues on North Central US which did not show up on the Service Dashboard. We were told in this forum that the dashboard did not show issues impacting individual servers. We thought therefore we might limit damage by spreading our stuff across multiple servers, but if the problem is actual North Central ...

Can anyone tell me if we can create multiple servers in the other regions?

CC

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 11:57 PM
  • Hi,

AFAIK, you cannot create different role instances within a hosted service in different geographical regions. Instead, you can create multiple hosted services in different regions with same application and later use Azure Traffic Manager for load balancing between different hosted services across regions. 

I hope it helps!!

If you found this post useful, Please "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful". Thanks! Vaibhav Gujral.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 1:26 PM