none
Can't access my Virtual Machine with Apache and Moodle from the Internet

Question

• I've deployed a Virtual Machine with Apache and Moodle and I can see the localhost page of my portal inside my VM.  When I try to reach outside the VM I can't see anything. I try to acces the DNS of my Virtual Machine: http://xxxxxx.cloudapp.net and only get:

"Gateway Timeout, Server error - server 157.56.XXX.XXX is unreachable at this moment. Please retry the request or contact your adminstrator."

I configure an endpoint with port 80, but still i can't see anything.

I've searched in the forum but can't find any solution.

Does anyone know what can i do to access my site from the internet?

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 8:19 PM

Answers

• what is the result of a telnet to port 80 ? open a telnet client and type open <azure VM>.cloudapp.net 80

and see if the screen goes blank or responds to connecting to the port.( press ctrl+c if on a windows machine to display the end of connection and if there was a webserver listening). Also make sure the vm firewall is not blocking connections to port 80 besides localhost.

Could you please provide more information?

Which version of Apache and which OS you are running apache will be great to understand if it's a problem locally to your VM or to the endpoint

• Marked as answer by Bykthor77 Thursday, February 07, 2013 3:42 PM
    Wednesday, February 06, 2013 11:26 PM

All replies

• what is the result of a telnet to port 80 ? open a telnet client and type open <azure VM>.cloudapp.net 80

and see if the screen goes blank or responds to connecting to the port.( press ctrl+c if on a windows machine to display the end of connection and if there was a webserver listening). Also make sure the vm firewall is not blocking connections to port 80 besides localhost.

Could you please provide more information?

Which version of Apache and which OS you are running apache will be great to understand if it's a problem locally to your VM or to the endpoint

• Marked as answer by Bykthor77 Thursday, February 07, 2013 3:42 PM
    Wednesday, February 06, 2013 11:26 PM
  • Thank You Joao:

I've just follow your instructions: I tried the telnet with Putty and the screen goes blank, nothing happens.

I'm using:

• Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter
    • XAMPP v1.8.1 with:
    • Apache v2.4.3
    • MySQL v5.5.27
    • PHP v 5.4.7

I've also checked the firewall and disabled it and still get the "504 Gateway timeout".

Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:00 PM
  • Hi again Joao:

I checked again the windows firewall, i didn't noticed i had 3 tabs: "Domain profile", "Private profile" and "Public profile", once i disabled the "Public profile" i could see my site (first i disabled only the first one).

So now i'm gonna check how to enable the "Public profile" but let the incoming http connections open.

Thank you very much!

:-D

Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:26 PM
  •  My pleasure Bykthor77!

please keep posting any questions and for us as most descriptive you can describe the environment, as fast we can provide the troubleshooting steps.

I am glad you found the solution!

Thursday, February 07, 2013 7:13 PM