none
Error while using Azure AppFabric Cache for a .NET 3.5 application

Question

• I have been trying to use Windows Azure AppFabric Cache from the Appfabric Labs. It is working fine for an ASP.NET application if the target framework is 4.0.

However, it doesn't work for framewrok 3.5 and thus i am not able to use it for a cloud service's web role ( i know new release of azure supports 4.0 too)

the error i get for an ASP.NET 3.5 application is:

Server Error in '/' Application.

Configuration Error

Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Web.DistributedCache' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

Line 34: 		<sessionState mode="Custom" customProvider="AppFabricCacheSessionStoreProvider">
    Line 35: 			<providers>
    Line 36: 				<add name="AppFabricCacheSessionStoreProvider" type="Microsoft.Web.DistributedCache.DistributedCacheSessionStateStoreProvider, Microsoft.Web.DistributedCache" cacheName="default" useBlobMode="false"/>
    Line 37: 			</providers>
    Line 38: 		</sessionState>

TechyFreak | Mobile Development Resources
    Wednesday, November 17, 2010 5:16 PM

All replies

• Hi,

As far as I know .NET 4.0 is already supported from Guest OS 1.3 did you try running your ASP.NET 4.0 on azure?

Edward

Wednesday, November 17, 2010 10:48 PM
  • Ok .. Well it works ... but again i want to confirm ... "Is Azure AppFabric Cache supported for framework 3.5?" 
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:33 PM
  • Ok .. Well it works ... but again i want to confirm ... "Is Azure AppFabric Cache supported for framework 3.5?" 

Yes I want to confirm if this Microsoft.Web.DistributedCache dll will work with .net3.5 web apps. I'm getting the same probs, can only get it to work by switching my entire project to .net 4 which I'm not ready to switch to in production.

You can easily re-create the problem by creating any new web project (.net3.5), then copy/paste client code from CTP Cache portal and poof. You get the error. Switch to .net4 and you're rolling.

I have searched high/low and cant get a straight answer with regards to this session state cache client config.

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 6:24 PM