none
SDK 1.5 doesn't work, compute emulator quits immediately

Question

• The Compute Emulator just quits as soon as it starts. This is within VS2010. If i start the emulator manually via the notification icon then it starts but as soon as i show the UI it quits again. I'm unsure how to troubleshoot this, where can i find more information? There's nothing in the event log.

I've tried uninstalling and installing again and various combinations of restarts etc,.

I just can't work out what's going on.

Very annoying!

thanks
    paul

Sunday, September 18, 2011 10:53 AM

Answers

• There seems to be a bug that causes this behavior if your user account has a space in it.  Microsoft is aware of it.  I rolled back to 1.4  Just have to edit your project file in notepad and changed two references from "1.5" to "1.4".

Mark

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:54 PM

All replies

• Are you invoking it with Run as Administrator?

Note that there appear to be a number of threads reporting this problem. The solution that worked for me was to install the SDK and run it as the Administrator user.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:22 PM
    Answerer
  • I'm running VS2010 as admin, how do i invoke the SDK as admin? Sorry if that's a simple question?

I upgraded from SDK 1.4 which worked perfectly within the same environment

thanks
    Paul

Sunday, September 18, 2011 5:33 PM
  • In the second paragraph I intended that you login as the Administrator and then install the SDK and try to run it.

I encountered a similar problem in an environment that I used as a normal user in the Administrator group. After installing the SDK I was unable to get it to run - a difficulty I could not remember with SDK v1.4 on this machine. I don't use this machine a lot so I could have been mistaken. After turning on the real Administrator user and using that things seemed to work.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 6:04 PM
    Answerer
  • I have seen it suggested that there may be an issue with the compute emulator if the logged-in account has a space in its name.

Sunday, September 18, 2011 7:31 PM
    Answerer
  • Neil,

I was running with a space in the name but changed that. I have also enabled the full administrator account, uninstalled, reinstalled (multiple times) but still no joy.

The compute emulator starts, then the storage one starts and the compute is shut down. I cannot find any other help messages (i'm checking the notification icon). I am unable to open the compute UI to see because it shuts down immediately.

There is definately something amiss here, as i mentioned 1.4 worked fine. 1.5 doesn't

I don't know whether i can go back, because when i opened up my solution VS did some kind of update to it

help!
    paul

Monday, September 19, 2011 1:33 PM
  • There seems to be a bug that causes this behavior if your user account has a space in it.  Microsoft is aware of it.  I rolled back to 1.4  Just have to edit your project file in notepad and changed two references from "1.5" to "1.4".

Mark

Monday, September 19, 2011 4:54 PM