none
Azure Sync with Windows Server 2003 and SQL 2005

Question

• Hi all. As the title says, I am looking for the preferred route to move data from SQL 2005 to Sql Azure.

I cannot use the Azure Sync as it does not support this server set up. 

I saw that there was a .exe you could run with Framework 2.0 but that seems to not be available to download. This would run via SQL Agent and have the ability to be scheduled.

Am I to look at coding a service on the server or is there a more striaght forward way of doing this? Also I need it down to field level rather than table.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can lend a hand. Scott

Friday, March 16, 2012 9:06 AM

Answers

All replies

• next to SQL Azure Data Sync Service, Sync Framework is your code option. See: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/walkthrough-of-windows-azure-sync-service-sample.aspx

Note that both SQL Azure Data Sync Service and Sync Framework change tracking is at the row level not at the column level. if by field level you mean being able to select which columns to sync, both supports specifying subsets of columns only instead of the all the columns in a table.

• Marked as answer by scottsanpedro Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:22 AM
    Friday, March 16, 2012 12:30 PM
  • Many thanks for your response. I just wanted confirmation that I need to organise the sync through code as there isn't a service available for this older tech. I feel a little let down that it cant run in this tech as a lot of clients I know still run older server software. Still that's the way it is.

Just to note, I did mean a subset of columns to sync as I won't need all the data running up and down.

Thanks again. Scott

Saturday, March 17, 2012 7:26 AM
  • actually, the sync agent doesnt have to be installed on the same server as SQL Server. you can install the agent on another machine and just make sure your SQL Server 2005 has at least SP2.
    • Marked as answer by scottsanpedro Monday, March 19, 2012 9:51 AM
    Monday, March 19, 2012 2:28 AM
  • That changes things. That could give me the solution I need. Thanks for your comments. Really helpful. Cheers Scott
    Monday, March 19, 2012 9:51 AM