none
Azure Remote desktop connection

Question

• Hi All,

I have a situation where i need to create VM role instances runtime (from other azure service application) and provide the remote connection details to the end user where he can use those to remote login to role instance.

My question are :

1) How do i get hold of connection details (Which are available as .rdp file on Management portal when we click on "Connect" button) programatically.

2) Is there any way i can use those credentials internally (In the azure service application) ,  do an RDC connection and display the bits on browser window. (RDC from browser)

3) Can i use any other application, on non Windows OS (other than mstsc) to remote connect to VM role instances.

Really looking to get help on this from you guys.

Thanks in advance!!

- Vinayak

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 12:26 PM

Answers

• 1) haven't seen anything like this in service management API or so. However the rdp file only contains information about the specific instance of the specific service, so you should be able to come up with that information yourself

full address:s:mydemoapp.cloudapp.net
    LoadBalanceInfo:s:Cookie: mstshash=MyDemoWorker#MyDemoWorker_IN_0#Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Plugins.RemoteAccess.Rdp

2) not quite sure I understand that correctly. You planning to open an RDP connection from another Azure application?

3) haven't checked recently but there were clients available for Mac and other OS as well. Any RDP client should do, nothing specific to VM Role.

You should have in mind that this RDP is typically meant for administrative purposes, less for end user application access.

• Marked as answer by Mog Liang Monday, February 21, 2011 10:03 AM
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:43 AM

All replies

• 1) haven't seen anything like this in service management API or so. However the rdp file only contains information about the specific instance of the specific service, so you should be able to come up with that information yourself

full address:s:mydemoapp.cloudapp.net
    LoadBalanceInfo:s:Cookie: mstshash=MyDemoWorker#MyDemoWorker_IN_0#Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Plugins.RemoteAccess.Rdp

2) not quite sure I understand that correctly. You planning to open an RDP connection from another Azure application?

3) haven't checked recently but there were clients available for Mac and other OS as well. Any RDP client should do, nothing specific to VM Role.

You should have in mind that this RDP is typically meant for administrative purposes, less for end user application access.

• Marked as answer by Mog Liang Monday, February 21, 2011 10:03 AM
    Wednesday, February 09, 2011 6:43 AM
  • Hi, thanks for your reply...

Regarding 1) Can any body confirm what 'perpetualKid' is suggesting.

Regarding 2) Yes i want to invoke a remote connection from an azure service internally and show the desktop view inside the browser.

Any pointers in this direction would be helpful.

Regarding 3) Will try from an non mstsc app to connect to azure instance.

Thursday, February 10, 2011 2:19 PM
  • it just works a normal RDP connection. Why don't you sace the rdp file to tour local system and share that file with the end user?
    TechyFreak | Mobile Development Resources
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:19 PM
  • Could you use the Virtual Network with the VHD and add Remote Desktop Services on the VHD. Seems like this is working. This would allow you to put your own IP on it, use RemoteApps or full desktop for the clients.

The only way to invoke RDP from a browser would be the RDP Web connect option that I am aware of.

Monday, October 08, 2012 1:00 PM