none
How can I know the right values for input parameters?

Question

• I am new to Azure marketplace, and I am learning to issue queries to obtain data through the web interface. 

However, I find many input parameters are set as blanks, where I need to type in right values.
    But I cannot find any documentations about the domain for the input parameters, nor drop lists.
    Besides, an incorrect format of the input value (e.g. 'USA' not 'United States') will result in empty response but also detuct one transaction.

I wonder How Can I know the right values for input parameters?

Take the data set "Worldwide Historical Weather Data" sold in Azure marketplace (https://datamarket.azure.com/dataset/weathertrends/worldwidehistoricalweatherdata) for example.
    In its web interface, I can query the data set using input parameter "Country".
    However, I can only input "UNITED STATES" to represent the USA, other tries like "America, USA" will return empty results, but also detuct one transaction.

So, where can I learn the right format of my proposed input? Is there any documents for the distinct values (or value range) for such input parameters?

Many Thanks

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 8:08 AM

Answers

• Hi,

From my experience, different data have different parameters, there is no document introduce how to input our parameter,  we need to know how to use azure marketplace data before we plan to use it. Such as this data (Worldwide Historical Weather Data), if we input wrong country name, this service will not give us any result, we can find this parameter from its Location Selection Map (http://www.weathertrends360.com/Popup/map), when we click the "+" we'll see the country name, and we can use this as country parameter. Hope this helps.

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, January 02, 2014 7:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

From my experience, this issue is related with which data were you using. In your used data (Worldwide Historical Weather Data) This service supports fixed query. Some queries may include required input parameters. (learn more about query types), refer to https://datamarket.azure.com/dataset/weathertrends/worldwidehistoricalweatherdata#schema for more information.When we use data, I would suggest you read his instruction.

Best Regards

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 9:47 AM
  • Thank you for your kind reply.

In face, I have read this instruction. But it just gives the type and some sample values for the attributes and input parameters in the data set. 

Set Country to "United States"  is a sample given in its instruction. However, assuming that I want to query for England, then How Can I know I should input "united kingdom" instead of "England" ?

The instruction given is not enough to guide users to set values for input parameters.

Moreover, I tried some other data sets, and meet similar problems. No documentations discussing the distinct values in the domain of input parameters.

Thanks. 

Tuesday, December 31, 2013 11:26 AM
  • Hi,

From my experience, different data have different parameters, there is no document introduce how to input our parameter,  we need to know how to use azure marketplace data before we plan to use it. Such as this data (Worldwide Historical Weather Data), if we input wrong country name, this service will not give us any result, we can find this parameter from its Location Selection Map (http://www.weathertrends360.com/Popup/map), when we click the "+" we'll see the country name, and we can use this as country parameter. Hope this helps.

Best Regards

Thursday, January 02, 2014 7:24 AM
  • I see.

Thank you so much for your kind help.

Saturday, January 04, 2014 2:27 AM