none
VPN Connection Deleted, New Connection Created, But Communication Remains on Old IP

Question

• We created a new virtual network to connect to our on-premises network.  We were able to establish the communication and the VPN tunnel started to work as expected.  Due to an error in the original configuration that could not be changed, though, we determined the best course of action would be deleting the existing virtual network, corporate network, and gateway/VPN connection to our on-premises environment.

We have created a new virtual network, created a new corporate network, and gone through all of the steps in the Portal to connect the networks again.  We were assigned a new IP address and key and we entered those into our device on-premises.  It has been 4 days since this change was made.  We continue to see network traffic on the old IP address assigned in the portal.  If we remove or disable the gateway, the traffic stops.  Once enabled again, it continues to come from the old IP address that was assigned and as a result, we can't connect the networks together.

It seems like we need a support engineer on the Azure side to fix this as I can't see anything I can do on my side to resolve this issue.

Thoughts?

Monday, August 13, 2012 9:02 PM

Answers

• Through troubleshooting, it was discovered that the edge device, a Juniper SRX240, was showing non-existent connections. 

The following steps were taken to correct the Juniper device:

“We turned it on and off again.  We cleared out all the SAs, committed, deactivated the gateway and the VPN, committed, deactivated the firewall policies, committed, and then reactivated everything, committed, and there we were with a new SA.”

-Steve

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please contact me directly with your full name and subscription ID to iaasforum @ microsoft.com.

Please also describe how you see the traffic on the old IP. If it is in a log or network capture, please send it in along with the IP address you are seeing and the IP address you expect to see.

Regards,

-Steve

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 12:22 AM
  • Through troubleshooting, it was discovered that the edge device, a Juniper SRX240, was showing non-existent connections. 

The following steps were taken to correct the Juniper device:

“We turned it on and off again.  We cleared out all the SAs, committed, deactivated the gateway and the VPN, committed, deactivated the firewall policies, committed, and then reactivated everything, committed, and there we were with a new SA.”

-Steve

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:57 PM