none
Best way to increase 'cores' quota

Question

• just curious - would it be better to request additional cores to our quota OR create a new subscription? I separate subscription is nice because I can move my development/integration stuff there.  Or, just increase and manage from one place.

Just curious what people are doing

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 2:01 AM

Answers

• What do you mean by core? Do you mean CPU cores? In general, if you can, try to adopt distribute computing instead of parallel computing. You can create more instances instead of using more CPU cores. If your scenario forces you to use a lot of CPU cores, try to contact customer support on https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?prid=14234&st=1&wfxredirect=1&sd=gn.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 9:23 AM
  • As Name-Dis pointed out, you need to submit a support request to have the number of cores per subscription increased beyond the default of 20. Depending on your existing purchase agreement, you may also be required to complete a credit check before the increase goes into affect (its only there to help prevent folks from racking up a bigger bill than they can pay).
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:11 AM

All replies

• What do you mean by core? Do you mean CPU cores? In general, if you can, try to adopt distribute computing instead of parallel computing. You can create more instances instead of using more CPU cores. If your scenario forces you to use a lot of CPU cores, try to contact customer support on https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?prid=14234&st=1&wfxredirect=1&sd=gn.

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 9:23 AM
  • As Name-Dis pointed out, you need to submit a support request to have the number of cores per subscription increased beyond the default of 20. Depending on your existing purchase agreement, you may also be required to complete a credit check before the increase goes into affect (its only there to help prevent folks from racking up a bigger bill than they can pay).
    Tuesday, April 03, 2012 11:11 AM
  • Hi Marc,

As suggested by Name-Dis and Brent you need to raise a request with Microsoft Support team and they will be happy increasing the limit. Recently we had an ask to have multiple large size instance for one of our azure deployment. I raised a few equests and it was answered in couple of hours.

Another important factor is Azure billing is based on usage and not number of cores so if needed you can ask for some additional Cores without worrying about finance part :-)

You can also refer my blog for same Windows Azure - How to Increase Cores per Subscription.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:10 PM
  • As suggested by Name-Dis and Brent you need to raise a request with Microsoft Support team and they will be happy increasing the limit. Recently we had an ask to have multiple large size instance for one of our azure deployment. I raised a few equests and it was answered in couple of hours.

Another important factor is Azure billing is based on usage and not number of cores so if needed you can ask for some additional Cores without worrying about finance part :-)

You can also refer my blog for same Windows Azure - How to Increase Cores per Subscription.

Tuesday, April 10, 2012 7:11 PM