none
Bing Search API, Search Engine for website with subdomains

    Question

  • I'm designing a website.  I used Bing Search API to create a search engine for it. 

    My back end code (in C#) adds "site:brewmuse.com " before the search query text, so the results are only within my website. 

    My website pertains to 3 topics: beer, coffee, and wine.  So in addition to the base www.brewmuse.com primary domain, I made a beer.brewmuse.com subdomain, coffee.brewmuse.com subdomain, and wine.brewmuse.com subdomain. 

    Regardless of my search terms, the results only ever include the www.brewmuse.com primary domain and a few beer.brewmuse.com subdomain pages.  Zero coffee.brewmuse.com and wine.brewmuse.com pages will appear. 

    Is this a problem with my code, or a problem with how bing indexed my website?  Thanks. 

    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 7:34 PM

Answers

  • There appear to be two issues going on.

    The first is restricting results to a specific subdomain. You can use site:beer.brewmuse.com and only results from this subdomain will be displayed. None from the parent domain or other subdomains will be included.

    The second is that searching on www.bing.com returns more results than when using the Data Market Bing Search API. e.g. when searching on site:brewmuse.com color, I get four hits for your site on www.bing.com and only one using the Bing Search API. This reflects the single hit from your in-site search, which indicates that you are probably not doing anything wrong in your code and that the issue is a discrepancy in the API itself.

    I'll follow-up with the product team and see whether we can offer any specifics to help get you better search results.

    <tongue-in-check>I don't see "Tea" on your site at all</tongue-in-check>

    Thanks.


    Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:22 PM

All replies

  • Hi,
     
    I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.
     
    Thanks,

    QinDian Tang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 2:41 AM
  • I will gladly be patient.  Thank you for the help. 
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 3:51 PM
  • There appear to be two issues going on.

    The first is restricting results to a specific subdomain. You can use site:beer.brewmuse.com and only results from this subdomain will be displayed. None from the parent domain or other subdomains will be included.

    The second is that searching on www.bing.com returns more results than when using the Data Market Bing Search API. e.g. when searching on site:brewmuse.com color, I get four hits for your site on www.bing.com and only one using the Bing Search API. This reflects the single hit from your in-site search, which indicates that you are probably not doing anything wrong in your code and that the issue is a discrepancy in the API itself.

    I'll follow-up with the product team and see whether we can offer any specifics to help get you better search results.

    <tongue-in-check>I don't see "Tea" on your site at all</tongue-in-check>

    Thanks.


    Thursday, July 25, 2013 4:22 PM
  • Don't worry, Malcolm.  My vision for the website includes both tea and mead.  I do have a ton of content to create before I get to them, though. 
    Wednesday, September 25, 2013 4:33 AM