none
yo everybody, does SDS has transaction support??

Question

• hi, i did some search from the forum, but still wondering...

coz i cannot get a clear idea....whether SDS has transaction support or not??

just simple case,

suppose the two action below are doing all together,
    create works fine, however, somehow Update get problems, and throw out exception,
    normally, what i expected something can help me is that, the whole process will role back,
    so that the create won`t take effect, coz the update failed.

====
    proxy.Create(scope, entity);
    proxy.Update(scope, entity);
    ====

does SDS support support what i want????

and how about azure storage??? (i haven`t use it yet,,....but will try to use it later.)

looking forward for any answers...
    thanks.
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 11:32 AM

Answers

All replies

• The HTTP client (deprecated) does not have transaction support.

The TDS client (announced a couple of weeks ago and demonstrated at MIX - http://videos.visitmix.com/MIX09/T06F) will fully support transactions.

Evan
    Sunday, March 22, 2009 6:41 PM
  • Thanks....
    Monday, March 23, 2009 4:25 AM
  • Evan, I took your answer as a confirmation SQL Azure was going to fully support transactions, as used via the System.Transactions namespace for example.

I am now reading the article about SQL Azure on the August 2009 issue of MSDN Magazine and I see distributed transactions are not going to be supported in SQL Azure v1.
    Using System.Transactions, transactions get easily promoted to distributed transactions, even if you are exclusively using the very same database, unless you use the very same connection object. So, in a complex code it is easier to write code that relies on System.Transactions and does not rely on passing the current connection object as parameter in internal functions, resulting in the promotion of the System.Transaction objects from Lightweight Transaction to Distributed Transaction.

I would like you to clarify tour statement on how SQL Azure will fully support transactions.

Thanks,
    Davide
    Davide Bedin
    Monday, August 17, 2009 1:38 PM