none
Nightly build in the cloud

Question

• Hi all, I have a visual studio project which is version controlled in clearcase. I have a nightly automated build with omake in windows server 2003. Is it possible for me to cloudify this nightly build and port the build output to cloud storage? Will i be able to achieve this with private cloud on a windows server 2008 R2? Thanks in advance.
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 12:15 PM

Answers

• For this the worker role would need to have all the components necessary to connect to on-premises clearcase, get source code and build it. Don't have visibility into clearcase or omake inner workings or their dependencies. Probably you might be able to deploy all the required components to a worker role and get the process working.
    As you mentioned that you already have a working nightly build process set up on Windows 2003. I would recommend VMRole which could simplify the process. Transfer the nightly build process onto a Windows 2008 VM [1] and upload it for a VM Role in Windows Azure. The nightly build process in the VMRole instance should then retrieve source code by connecting to the on-premises clearcase and build it.
    [1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/gg671907.aspx

Srini
    Sunday, January 08, 2012 11:00 AM

All replies

• Probably yes, if it is possible for omake to run a exe with some parameters *.

Install Windows Azure SDK on Windows Server 2003. Create a console application which takes in parameters such as Azure Storage account name, key, path to the build output. This console application should then connect to Azure storage, iterate through the build output and upload the contents to Azure storage. 

* Never used omake though

Srini
    Saturday, January 07, 2012 7:00 PM
  • What about the part to cloudify the build?

Is it possible for me to have a source code residing in Win 2003 or Win 2008 Server machine and then have a worker role in the cloud (or VM machine) to execute omake or MSBuild to build this visual studio project?

Sunday, January 08, 2012 1:38 AM
  • For this the worker role would need to have all the components necessary to connect to on-premises clearcase, get source code and build it. Don't have visibility into clearcase or omake inner workings or their dependencies. Probably you might be able to deploy all the required components to a worker role and get the process working.
    As you mentioned that you already have a working nightly build process set up on Windows 2003. I would recommend VMRole which could simplify the process. Transfer the nightly build process onto a Windows 2008 VM [1] and upload it for a VM Role in Windows Azure. The nightly build process in the VMRole instance should then retrieve source code by connecting to the on-premises clearcase and build it.
    [1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/gg671907.aspx

Srini
    Sunday, January 08, 2012 11:00 AM