none
Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.3.4 Requested action not taken;

Question

• BizSpark member has a problem.

My  site is self generating email messages to notify the admin of important events.

emailadmin = admin@domain.com

This is a Windows Live account.

It is an important feature that allows me to monitor my website.

{
                     WebMail.Send(
                         to: emailadmin,    
                         subject: "subject",
                         body: "body");
                    }

First I thought that the server referenced is the smtp server for Windows Live. When I change the email address to another email address, I get exactly the same message.

Is Azure blocking these messages and if so, how do I get Azure to let these messages through?

• Edited by wvmstr Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:47 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 9:43 PM

Answers

• OK, I figured it out.

The Microsoft Live account I was using to login to smtp was being blocked by Microsoft.

• Marked as answer by wvmstr Monday, October 01, 2012 2:26 PM
    Monday, October 01, 2012 2:26 PM

All replies

• I saw there are lots of queries regarding this. And there are log of solutions. I deployed one using Microsoft tech at

http://deploytest.azurewebsites.net/

Source code:

http://deploytest.azurewebsites.net/wawsmails.zip

Thanks,

Wei

Friday, September 28, 2012 3:34 AM
  • Wei, I know how to send emails from my application that is not the problem.

I am sending emails that are generated by the application when certain events occur.

The error message is generated by the server.

Is it the Azure server and if yes how can I get it to let them through?

Unless there is something in your link that I fail to see.....

Friday, September 28, 2012 8:53 PM
  • sorry, I don't understand your scenario clearly. WAWS don't provide a feature to send mails when some error happen. If you want similar feature, you have done that in your applicatio yourself.

Can you describe in details about your scenario?

thanks,

Wei

Monday, October 01, 2012 2:35 AM
  • Ok, let's go back to my original post:

My  site is self generating email messages to notify the admin of important events.

emailadmin = admin@domain.com

This is a Windows Live account.

It is an important feature that allows me to monitor my website.

{
                     WebMail.Send(
                         to: emailadmin,    
                         subject: "subject",
                         body: "body");
                    }

Let's change the language to: My application is self generating email messages.

Not Azure.

What more details could you possible need at this time?

Monday, October 01, 2012 1:22 PM
  • Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.3.4 Requested action not taken; To continue sending messages, please sign in to your account.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.Net.Mail.SmtpException: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.3.4 Requested action not taken; To continue sending messages, please sign in to your account.

Source Error:
    Line 238:
    Line 239:                {
    Line 240:                 WebMail.Send(
    Line 241:                     to: statusemail,	
    Line 242:                     subject: "new user", 

Source File: c:\DWASFiles\sites\bladh\VirtualDirectory0\site\wwwroot\Thanks.cshtml    Line: 240

Stack Trace:
    [SmtpException: Mailbox unavailable. The server response was: 5.3.4 Requested action not taken; To continue sending messages, please sign in to your account.]
       System.Net.Mail.DataStopCommand.CheckResponse(SmtpStatusCode statusCode, String serverResponse) +1203967
       System.Net.Mail.DataStopCommand.Send(SmtpConnection conn) +38
       System.Net.Mail.SmtpConnection.OnClose(Object sender, EventArgs args) +8
       System.Net.ClosableStream.Close() +54
       System.Net.Mail.MailWriter.Close() +56
       System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message) +1772
       System.Web.Helpers.WebMail.Send(String to, String subject, String body, String from, String cc, IEnumerable`1 filesToAttach, Boolean isBodyHtml, IEnumerable`1 additionalHeaders, String bcc, String contentEncoding, String headerEncoding, String priority, String replyTo) +687
       CallSite.Target(Closure , CallSite , Type , Object , String , String ) +223
       System.Dynamic.UpdateDelegates.UpdateAndExecuteVoid4(CallSite site, T0 arg0, T1 arg1, T2 arg2, T3 arg3) +736
       ASP._Page_Thanks_cshtml.Execute() in c:\DWASFiles\sites\blah\VirtualDirectory0\site\wwwroot\Thanks.cshtml:240
       System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy() +209
       System.Web.WebPages.WebPage.ExecutePageHierarchy(IEnumerable`1 executors) +68
       System.Web.WebPages.WebPage.ExecutePageHierarchy() +123
       System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy(WebPageContext pageContext, TextWriter writer, WebPageRenderingBase startPage) +78
       System.Web.WebPages.WebPageHttpHandler.ProcessRequestInternal(HttpContextBase httpContext) +121

Monday, October 01, 2012 1:23 PM
  • OK, I figured it out.

The Microsoft Live account I was using to login to smtp was being blocked by Microsoft.

• Marked as answer by wvmstr Monday, October 01, 2012 2:26 PM
    Monday, October 01, 2012 2:26 PM