none
Test controller isn't able to connect to on-prem client machine connected via Azure Connect

Question

• I have setup test controller and test agents on Azure as worker roles. My on-prem client ( visual studio ) is trying conduct a load test using controller on azure. Controller, agent and my client are connected using Azure connect and that connectivity seems to be working well. Client is able to recognize test controller and agent is registered with controller properly.

I can ping from controller machine back to my client machine also well.

When I start the test, client (2a01:111:3f00:1083:d805:1e9d:95b5:5a04) is able to connect to controller (RD00155D34745E) and initiate the deployment of test, however after some time I get failure. When I turned on logging on controller, I get following trace.

I have already opened all ports for communication through my firewall on my client machine. Don't know what else is needed to get this working?

Please see below for exception received. If needed, I can send the entire verbose log.

E, 1708, 5, 2012/08/27, 12:58:35.390, RD00155D34745E\QTController.exe, ControllerDeployment.DoDeployment: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond [2a01:111:3f00:1083:d805:1e9d:95b5:5a04]:27959

Server stack trace:
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Connect(EndPoint remoteEP)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.RemoteConnection.CreateNewSocket(EndPoint ipEndPoint)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.RemoteConnection.CreateNewSocket()
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.RemoteConnection.GetSocket()
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketCache.GetSocket(String machinePortAndSid, Boolean openNew)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientTransportSink.SendRequestWithRetry(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Common.FileCopyService.get_DeploymentFlags()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Controller.ControllerExecution.<DoDeployment>b__6(FileCopyService fileCopyService)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Execution.RemoteObjectContainer`1.InvokeAsRemoteUser(Action`1 invoke)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Controller.ControllerExecution.DoDeployment()
    E, 1708, 11, 2012/08/27, 12:58:35.390, RD00155D34745E\QTController.exe, ControllerSpooledJob.AddMessage: Failed calling event listener Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Execution.RemoteObjectContainer`1[Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Controller.IControllerEvents]: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond [2a01:111:3f00:1083:d805:1e9d:95b5:5a04]:27959

Server stack trace:
       at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoConnect(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.RemoteConnection.CreateNewSocket(EndPoint ipEndPoint)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.SocketCache.GetSocket(String machinePortAndSid, Boolean openNew)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientTransportSink.SendRequestWithRetry(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.Tcp.TcpClientTransportSink.ProcessMessage(IMessage msg, ITransportHeaders requestHeaders, Stream requestStream, ITransportHeaders& responseHeaders, Stream& responseStream)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Channels.BinaryClientFormatterSink.SyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg)

at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Controller.IControllerEvents.ControllerEvent(TestMessage report)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Controller.ControllerSpooledJob.<>c__DisplayClass6.<AddMessage>b__3(IControllerEvents eventListener)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Execution.RemoteObjectContainer`1.InvokeAsRemoteUser(Action`1 invoke)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Controller.ControllerSpooledJob.AddMessage(TestMessage message)
    V, 1708, 11, 2012/08/27, 12:58:35.390, RD00155D34745E\QTController.exe, BackgroundJobProcessor<Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Common.TestMessage>(ControllerExecution.TestMessageSender)+ExternalJob.ProcessJob: successfully invoked job processor for job 'RD00155D34745E: Run {677c1d41-b1cb-49b3-957d-3f9db9d8886a}: Queuing'
    E, 1708, 5, 2012/08/27, 12:58:35.390, RD00155D34745E\QTController.exe, ControllerExecution.DoDeployment: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond [2a01:111:3f00:1083:d805:1e9d:95b5:5a04]:27959

Server stack trace:

at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Common.FileCopyService.get_DeploymentFlags()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Controller.ControllerExecution.<DoDeployment>b__6(FileCopyService fileCopyService)
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Controller.ControllerExecution.DoDeployment()
       at Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.Controller.ControllerExecution.RunStateDeploying()
    E, 1708, 5, 2012/08/27, 12:58:35.406, RD00155D34745E\QTController.exe, The controller failed to deploy the test run from the client: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond [2a01:111:3f00:1083:d805:1e9d:95b5:5a04]:27959

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 7:05 AM

All replies

• Hello Shirish,

Thank you for posting in the MSDN forum.

To deal with your issue, please first check out if the firewall blocks the connection.

To confirm that firewall is indeed the problem in this case, you can try doing the following which described in this blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/lab_management/archive/2009/10/26/troubleshooting.aspx

1). Try telnet from your agent machine to controller machine (telnet 1#.#.1#.7#: 50001) and see whether the connection succeeds or not. If firewall is the problem, it will fail.

2). If telnet fails, then try restarting the controller service and/or try disabling the firewall. After this, telnet should succeed and agent connection to controller should also work.

3). Add port exception for 50001 in your firewall on the test controller machine.

Also, you can refer to the Network/Firewall issues (mainly implied by .net remoting technology) of the following article about troubleshooting guide for Visual Studio Test controller and Test agent:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vststest/thread/df043823-ffcf-46a4-9e47-1c4b8854ca13

In addition, In order to make sure the connection among your test rig is working well, the Windows Azure Connect endpoint software must be active on all Azure instances and on the test Controller machine as well. This allows IP connectivity between them and, given that the firewall is properly configured, allows the Controller to send workloads to the agents.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, August 30, 2012 2:05 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, Amanda. The problem is not between controller and agent machine. They are both on Azure and are able to connect well.

On-prem client machine and these two worker roles, controller and agent are connected with each other using AzureConnect. Client machine is able to see controller when I manage controllers through visual studio, which indicates that connectivity isn't a problem. I can start the test from client, client connects to controller machine however when controller machine connects back to client machine (on-prem) it seems to fail and throws exception as above.

On client machine, I have enabled incoming connections on all ports, using all protocols through firewall. So I don't think that's a problem. Something else on the machine is preventing that? My on-prem client machine is on MS domain (redmond.corp.microsoft.com) I don't know if any of machine policies etc. are preventing this connection?

Thursday, August 30, 2012 5:26 AM
  • Hi Shirish,

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue. There might be some time delay. Appreciate your patience.

Best regards,

Amanda Zhu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us

Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:03 AM
  • Thanks much, Amanda !
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:56 AM
  • Thanks much, Amanda !

I am unable to see the controller under the manage test controllers list after the deployment to the azure platform. I also tried rebooting the azure controller role but that did not work too. I am able to ping so connection is  not a problem. Let me know if I need to do some settings under visual studio.
    Monday, September 03, 2012 11:45 PM
  • Amit,

Please make sure that you have same user on your client machine and on test controller/agent machines. Login on your client machine using that user and start visual studio as administrator. you should see controller when you do manage test controllers.

Amanda,

Any update on this please? Have you been able to find somebody to look into this?

Thanks,

Shirish

Monday, September 10, 2012 11:41 PM
  • Hi,

I am in the same boat as Shirish is and I am getting the same error. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Kiran

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 6:32 AM
  • Hi 

I`m also getting the same issue, all in house systems work fine, however our Azure deployments dont.

Has anyone resolved this issue?

Kind Regards Paul

Wednesday, October 09, 2013 7:22 PM