none
How to download a word document by clicking on a hyperlink for a web application deployed on Azure.

Question

• As far as downloading while running the program locally, this works fine. But once deployed on Azure, seems it does not like the url.

M.O

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:38 AM

Answers

• Hi Madhvee,

There could be different problems related to your issue.

The first step should be to check if the excel is marked embedded as content in properties window. If not, mark the excel to be included as content.

The other thing could be the URL itself. Please verify if you are not giving absolute URL in the hyperlink. If yes, replace it with a relative address of the excel file. 

If after these changes also, the issue appears, then please share the exact error message that your browser displays when you hit the hyperlink to download the excel.

I hope it helps!! If you found this post useful, Please "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful". Thanks! Vaibhav Gujral.

• Marked as answer by Madhvee Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:50 PM
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:48 AM

All replies

• Can you provide some more details? Are you storing/serving the word document from blob storage or your role? Are there more than 1 instance running for your role? How are you uploading the document? What's the error message you're getting?
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:59 AM
  • Hi,

According to Gaurav's post, please provide more details about the exception message and how does it was thrown, i believe it's will help us fix it.

"How to download a word document by clicking on a hyperlink for a web application deployed on Azure", my guess it's Azure VM does not install office components for your hosted service defaultlt, so the application on cloud environment can not work, you can consider VM role, install Office components with VM role should works for you situation.

Hope this helps.

Please mark the replies as answers if they help or unmark if not. If you have any feedback about my replies, please contact msdnmg@microsoft.com Microsoft One Code Framework

Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:13 AM
  • Hi Madhvee,

There could be different problems related to your issue.

The first step should be to check if the excel is marked embedded as content in properties window. If not, mark the excel to be included as content.

The other thing could be the URL itself. Please verify if you are not giving absolute URL in the hyperlink. If yes, replace it with a relative address of the excel file. 

If after these changes also, the issue appears, then please share the exact error message that your browser displays when you hit the hyperlink to download the excel.

I hope it helps!! If you found this post useful, Please "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful". Thanks! Vaibhav Gujral.

• Marked as answer by Madhvee Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:50 PM
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 7:48 AM
  • Thank you so much Vaibhav.

Your first suggestion did the job.

I had missed out the content in the properties window!

Thank you so much.

Thanks to all of you who replied.

M.O

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:50 PM
  • If i could dare ask a further question,

I have a custom asp application which uses remote scripting with the files rs.htm/ rs.asp/ and others found  in _scriptLibrary under the project.

I have created a .NET application and added the custom asp project in it. The project works fine when run locally on the azure emulator but the same application is deployed on Azure, it gives me a javascript error, saying object is not supported.

is there any configurations that need to be set to allow remote scripting on azure platform or is it not supported at all?

M.O

Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Hi Madhvee,

Though I don't have great exposure to remote scripting, but, looking at the error the first thought that comes to my mind is to verify if the copy always property of the script folder and all its contents is set to true or not. If not, try setting it to true for all the required files and script folder.

And, if the issue still persists, one thing that I can suggest is to use the remote desktop feature and examine the event logs in the VM. It will give more details on the exact issue.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 3:31 PM