none
Publishing VM to Azure Marketplace

Question

• I am dealing with packaging and publication of major client server product (NCache Actually). As per nature it is possible that product be deployed on a VM inside azure. Now our company wants to lease out the custom VM with product installed. So I have these questions:

1) Is it even possible to lease out a custom VM with our product installed and configured on azure marketplace?

2) Supposedly we are not publishing the VM on marketplace but on our own website where VM can be downloaded and attached inside cloud. Then:

- Who will be responsible for the licensing of the OS inside VM? (us or the customer who has purchased VM?)

- What licensing concerns we should take into the consideration?

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 7:39 AM

Answers

• HI

Sorry, as far as I know you can't.

Because Azure Marketplace is a market for Saas.

The Windows Azure Marketplace is a global online market where ISVs and Data Publishers can publish and sell Windows Azure applications, services, building block components and premium datasets. The Marketplace provides partners a global online sales channel to rapidly accelerate the return on their Windows Azure platform investments, to land new customers, new markets and new revenue opportunities. The Windows Azure Marketplace is a one-stop location supported by Microsoft to help you succeed.

And I think you can publish your own image or VHD in your website.

Then let customer download it, and they can upload the VHD and use it.

Please refer to 

Creating and Uploading a Virtual Hard Disk that Contains the Linux Operating System

Please mark post as answered if it helped!

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

>> Who will be responsible for the licensing of the OS inside VM? (us or the customer who has purchased VM?)

From my experience, you can create your VM images based on trial version of the OS. The customers are needed to purchase the OS license and activate it. This solution is practical, but may annoy some customers as they think the solution is incomplete. You can also purchase the OS license for the customers, but please note it is needed to purchase a separate copy for each VM. This is not a very practical solution, as you may run out of license, or may purchase more licenses than you can sell.

>> What licensing concerns we should take into the consideration?
    You can consider an SaaS solution (or PaaS if your product is a platform instead of a software). This is more practical and more user friendly. You deploy the VM in Windows Azure, and you operate it. You don't sell the VMs. Instead, you sell services. While you're responsible for the OS license in this case, you can transfer the cost to price of your service. One VM may be able to server more than one customer. If you use Windows Azure's IaaS model, you can take advantage of load balance. Add more VMs as you see fit. Remove VMs in case the business shrinks. If you use Windows Azure's PaaS model (cloud service), you can even automatically scale your solution.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu

Ming Xu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 08, 2013 5:40 AM

All replies

• HI

Sorry, as far as I know you can't.

Because Azure Marketplace is a market for Saas.

The Windows Azure Marketplace is a global online market where ISVs and Data Publishers can publish and sell Windows Azure applications, services, building block components and premium datasets. The Marketplace provides partners a global online sales channel to rapidly accelerate the return on their Windows Azure platform investments, to land new customers, new markets and new revenue opportunities. The Windows Azure Marketplace is a one-stop location supported by Microsoft to help you succeed.

And I think you can publish your own image or VHD in your website.

Then let customer download it, and they can upload the VHD and use it.

Please refer to 

Creating and Uploading a Virtual Hard Disk that Contains the Linux Operating System

Please mark post as answered if it helped!

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 3:45 PM
  • Hi,

>> Who will be responsible for the licensing of the OS inside VM? (us or the customer who has purchased VM?)

From my experience, you can create your VM images based on trial version of the OS. The customers are needed to purchase the OS license and activate it. This solution is practical, but may annoy some customers as they think the solution is incomplete. You can also purchase the OS license for the customers, but please note it is needed to purchase a separate copy for each VM. This is not a very practical solution, as you may run out of license, or may purchase more licenses than you can sell.

>> What licensing concerns we should take into the consideration?
    You can consider an SaaS solution (or PaaS if your product is a platform instead of a software). This is more practical and more user friendly. You deploy the VM in Windows Azure, and you operate it. You don't sell the VMs. Instead, you sell services. While you're responsible for the OS license in this case, you can transfer the cost to price of your service. One VM may be able to server more than one customer. If you use Windows Azure's IaaS model, you can take advantage of load balance. Add more VMs as you see fit. Remove VMs in case the business shrinks. If you use Windows Azure's PaaS model (cloud service), you can even automatically scale your solution.

Best Regards,

Ming Xu

Ming Xu
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, August 08, 2013 5:40 AM