none
502 in Joomla admin

Question

• I'm getting 502 server error when I try to access module manager in Joomla admin portal.

Website is bisjdemo.azurewebsites.net.

Help appreciated.

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 5:09 PM

Answers

• I could reach the site without a problem. what is the url for module manager?

If you enable detailed error and tracing for this site, will that give you some information helpful?

Thanks,

Wei

• Marked as answer by Kenric.koh Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:47 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:15 AM
  • The custom error page reveals the reason for this problem. It's a problem with MySQL configuration. We have contacted ClearDB (they host MySQL for Azure Web Sites) and they plan on fixing this today.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Friday, August 24, 2012 8:25 PM
  • By the way, you can enable detailed error pages on the Configure screen in the Azure portal.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

• Marked as answer by Kenric.koh Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:45 AM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 8:26 PM

All replies

• 502 most likely means, your default page execution did not finish in timely fashion (about 180 seconds) and the request got timed out at websites loadbalancer.

I just browsed to the site and its looking pretty!

Thanks

AJ

Apurva Joshi, This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, August 10, 2012 6:38 PM
  • Thanks for your reply, but I'm afraid that's not on the right track.

The 502 error loads immediately once I click on the "Module Manager" link in Joomla Admin portal, definitely before 180 seconds.

It says:

"502 - Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.

There is a problem with the page you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed. When the Web server (while acting as a gateway or proxy) contacted the upstream content server, it received an invalid response from the content server."

I've tried fxing the Joomla install using a freshly downloaded package, but the error still turns up.

Shall I try deleting the website and setting it up again? Other reports of 502 errors in Joomla have pointed to PHP?

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 3:26 AM
  • I could reach the site without a problem. what is the url for module manager?

If you enable detailed error and tracing for this site, will that give you some information helpful?

Thanks,

Wei

• Marked as answer by Kenric.koh Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:47 AM
    Tuesday, August 14, 2012 8:15 AM
  • I have the same error. It takes less than 5 second to load page. And also only one link in all Joomla is the Modules

http://***.azurewebsites.net/administrator/index.php?option=com_modules

I suspect that this is some PHP error that result in this. Because it is windows based servers this is how they treat errors.

How to enable detailed errors and tracing?

Friday, August 24, 2012 11:14 AM
  • I am able to reproduce this and I have details on the problem. Let me do some investigation and I'll get back with you.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Friday, August 24, 2012 12:47 PM
  • The custom error page reveals the reason for this problem. It's a problem with MySQL configuration. We have contacted ClearDB (they host MySQL for Azure Web Sites) and they plan on fixing this today.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

Friday, August 24, 2012 8:25 PM
  • By the way, you can enable detailed error pages on the Configure screen in the Azure portal.

Jim Cheshire | Microsoft

• Marked as answer by Kenric.koh Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:45 AM
    Friday, August 24, 2012 8:26 PM
  • Thank you very much!

I hadn't had time to look into this and it still got solved along the way.

Thanks to all who participated too!

update: glad to report back that the module manager loads just fine now, confirming the fix.

• Edited by Kenric.koh Friday, August 31, 2012 5:39 PM
    Saturday, August 25, 2012 12:48 AM
  • Did this ever get fixed? My site is having the same issue but only with Modules editor for Joomla3. It seems like everything else is working..
    Wednesday, January 09, 2013 5:58 PM
  • Jim in the thread above found the solution for me.

It was a MySQL configuration issue and he had to contact ClearDB to resolve it.

I'm surprised no one has responded to your question yet actually!

• Edited by Kenric.koh Thursday, January 10, 2013 5:43 AM clarifying phrasing
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 5:42 AM