none
Azure feasible for training?

Question

• Hi folks,

First time poster here...

So I decided to finally get some Microsoft certification (SQL 2012).  I thought what better way to practice and work through examples in the training kit while also learning about Azure.

So I was looking at the pay as you go option which seems very reasonable...well at least for the first course I'm taking "Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012".  However, my biggest concern is in regards to "compute hours".  So am I wrong or does it seem that you are charged for virtual machines even when they are powered off?  If so then I don't understand the "pay as you go" model.  I understand that you get charged for storage regardless which makes sense.

When everything is said and done I may only need a server up and running for about 5-10 hours a week. Therefore if I'm getting charged hourly regardless than it really doesn't make any sense to go that route.

Any info or insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:28 PM

Answers

• Never mind I finally found it.

"Compute hours are charged whenever the Virtual Machine is deployed, irrespective of whether it is running or not. Compute hours do not include any Windows Azure Storage costs associated with the image running in Windows Azure Virtual Machines."

Unfortunately this isn't really cost effective for the amount of actual hours I need to use the virtual machines for.  <sigh> I wish Micorosft would leverage this kind of technology for those who are trying to get certified with their products.  The truth is to trying to do some of these cases/labs are somewhat difficult considering the cost of the products, system and OS they need to run on.

Virtual Labs would be a good idea if they were actually geared toward a specific course.  However that is not the case.  I mean I can't even imagine the cost of setting up 5 servers for the "Administrating SQL 2012" course.

Lastly since I don't have a training centre near me,  I feel my only course of action would be to try and locate a used server class machine, add a whole bunch of memory and run everyting in virtual machines locally. Of course there is the matter of licensing virtual machine software, Server 2008 R2, SQL 2102...and so on.

Sure don't make it easy for folks in my position. I'm a little disappointed but at least I have my answer.

Thanks Again,

• Edited by Yul B Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:46 PM correction
    • Marked as answer by Yul B Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:47 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

For training, why not register for a free trial:

http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/pricing/free-trial/

For the billing issue, you can refer these pages:

http://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/pricing/details/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/ee621788.aspx

If still not clear, please create a ticket to get support from portal or call 800 phone if it is still alive.

Thanks,

QinDian Tang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, December 20, 2012 7:09 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunatley I have already gone through my free trial earlier when I thought these training kits would be available but other 70-462 they didn't become available until recently.

Besides using a free trial isn't a long term solution or answer.  I just really need clarification on what I am getting charged when I'm turning the virtual machines off.  The pricing model isn't exactly clear on that or I might have just missed the fine print.

Thanks,

Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:26 PM
  • Never mind I finally found it.

"Compute hours are charged whenever the Virtual Machine is deployed, irrespective of whether it is running or not. Compute hours do not include any Windows Azure Storage costs associated with the image running in Windows Azure Virtual Machines."

Unfortunately this isn't really cost effective for the amount of actual hours I need to use the virtual machines for.  <sigh> I wish Micorosft would leverage this kind of technology for those who are trying to get certified with their products.  The truth is to trying to do some of these cases/labs are somewhat difficult considering the cost of the products, system and OS they need to run on.

Virtual Labs would be a good idea if they were actually geared toward a specific course.  However that is not the case.  I mean I can't even imagine the cost of setting up 5 servers for the "Administrating SQL 2012" course.

Lastly since I don't have a training centre near me,  I feel my only course of action would be to try and locate a used server class machine, add a whole bunch of memory and run everyting in virtual machines locally. Of course there is the matter of licensing virtual machine software, Server 2008 R2, SQL 2102...and so on.

Sure don't make it easy for folks in my position. I'm a little disappointed but at least I have my answer.

Thanks Again,

• Edited by Yul B Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:46 PM correction
    • Marked as answer by Yul B Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:47 PM
    Thursday, December 20, 2012 2:45 PM