none
Problem with Mail server, DNS Server and FTP Server

Question

• Hello All,

I have problems with Windows Azure VM.

1. How to use Mail server on VM, I have installed one but cannot send/receive emails. Is there any option for rDNS setup of VIP. 

2. Can I run standalone DNS Service on VM for website. DNS service needs to have static IP but VM is assigned a dynamic IP through DHCP. 

3. Also have problem with FTP service to run. I want to host few websites on VM with FTP service to upload website content. I have install MS FTP Service in IIS. 

Does anyone have idea about these problems or have experience with this please share.

Syed Muhammad Ali

Saturday, June 30, 2012 4:44 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I hope you are enjoying Azure. Your thread has been idle for some time. We are going to close this thread but if you have the issue still occurring please open a new thread for support. We will be glad to assist you.

Thanks!

Patrick [MSFT]

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:17 AM

All replies

• Hey Syed,

I know a couple of the answers but will need to validate one.

1) For the Mail Server, I would like to validate whether we have the proper networking capabilities for this to work. Can you give me a few more details on the Mail server you are using and any potential networking expectations it may have that you know of?

2) For the DNS Service, you can set up a DNS Service in a Virtual Machine. When you deploy using a Virtual Network, the IP address that you are given through DHCP, is persisted. Thus, even if the machine dies and gets redpeloyed, it will be supplied the same IP address (through DHCP). This will allow that server to be a DNS server since the IP address will remain. Details on setting up AD/DNS on a Virtual Machine can be found here, which I hope helps get you futher along: https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/manage/services/networking/active-directory-forest/

3) You can setup an FTP service, with a couple of caveats. Because you must explicitly open the endpoints on the virtual machine to expose it to the public internet, you cannot setup a passive FTP server, which dynamically selects ports. However, you can setup an active FTP server which uses static ports. Once you set this up and select the ports, you can open the external endpoints following these steps and you should be good to go: https://www.windowsazure.com/en-us/manage/windows/how-to-guides/setup-endpoints/

Hopefully this helps... :)

Corey

Sunday, July 01, 2012 3:43 AM
  • Hello Corey,

1. I am using SmarterMail Mail server for email service, how can I set rDNS and SPF record or domainKey for confirm delivery of email messages. 

2. I want to setup Microsoft DNS Service not active directory setup to host website with nameservers (like ns1.mydomain.com ns2.mydomain.com). 

Any idea or have solution like these type of situations.

Syed Muhammad Ali

Sunday, July 01, 2012 5:16 PM
  • Hi Syed,

The Windows Azure-provided DNS system does not currently support PTR records (used for rDNS) or TXT records (used for SPF).  Also, it does not allow you to provision your own records--it only supports records provisioned automatically by Azure.

Since I assume you'll be using your own domain name for email rather than 'cloudapp.net', I suggest you have those records managed by your existing domain name provider.  For the SPF record, this tool may help.

Note that the public IP of your service is assigned dynamically when your service is provisioned, but is guaranteed not to change after that so long as the service remains active.  If you take down and re-deploy your service, you may need to update those DNS records.

I hope this helps,

- Jonathan

Tuesday, July 03, 2012 1:45 PM
  • @syed.  Kicking in some thoughts.

1) I just moved my company off smartermail to Outlook 365. Like upgrading to a shinny new car from a rust bucket. At least at my hoster, smartermail was not so smart. Tons of junk mail like bees to hunny, and the web app was terrible.  Naturally you get what you pay for, but I would stay out of the email hosting biz if at all possible.  Just not worth it anymore imho. The economies of scale someone like ms can toss at quality and security makes a huge difference.  Especially something so mission criticle to users as email.

2) You can install and run MS DNS on your VM.  But like #1, why?  A typical web site will have an A record and a www CNAME and maybe a MX.  So why not let godaddy or other registrar handle that couple records for you for free on their big servers?  Less to manage and worry about and less unneeded traffic in/out your vm.  Also, in the past, most registars required two NS IPs.  Not sure now.  If so, you would still need another vm just to host dns.  But if you have burning desire and/or need, just open port 53 on azure endpoint and your firewall rules should automatically open 53 when you install the DNS role on the server.

3) For ftp, open endpoint port 21 on azure.  And on the firewall.  Setup ftp on IIS as needed.  Clients need to use active ftp connection as jonathan said.  FTP between azure VMs is still an issue even with active because of the azure endpoints.  You can login, but the data connection back becomes the issue.

Wednesday, July 04, 2012 7:08 AM
  • Hello,

I hope you are enjoying Azure. Your thread has been idle for some time. We are going to close this thread but if you have the issue still occurring please open a new thread for support. We will be glad to assist you.

Thanks!

Patrick [MSFT]

Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:17 AM