none
Windows Azure Virtual Network

Question

• I have created a Virtual Network in the preview portal based on the guide, and I created a gateway to our vpn device. I created a VM for the Virtual Network and an initial overview over it's ipconfig seems to show no problems (Ip addresses and dns server and such are fine). But I have found some other problems:

a) I can't actually see these machines on the network from my local computer, that is I can't ping the VM's ip address from my machine. I can ping my local computer from the VM however. 

b)There is another significant problem in that all the web services like our subversion repository or other corporate sites are completely inaccessible to me.

I can see the external network fine, I can even see the local IIS server on my local machine from the VM. Is there a specific limitation of azure in terms of security that would explain this behavior?

• Edited by Saugat Manandhar Friday, June 29, 2012 10:05 PM
    • Moved by Arwind - MSFT Monday, July 02, 2012 4:01 AM (From:Windows Azure Development)
    Friday, June 29, 2012 8:24 PM

All replies

• Hi Saugat,

The guest OS firewall won't allow ICMP by default. Can you temporarily try disabling the firewall in the VM?

For a Windows VM for example you would run this from an elevated command prompt to disable the firewall:

netsh advfirewall set currentprofile state off

And enable it again with:

netsh advfirewall set currentprofile state off

Thanks,

Craig

Thursday, July 05, 2012 9:39 PM
  • I ran the command but I still cannot access the company websites.

Monday, July 09, 2012 4:27 PM