none
Up scaling and down scaling a virtuel server in Azure

Question

• (couldn't really find a propper forum category for this question so please help and move it to the correct one if this is wrong)

Does anyone here know if it's possible to up- or down scale a virtual server in Azure?

For example, if I have a small (S) virtual server and need to upgrade it to a large (L) without reinstalling everything on the large server?

Or if I have a large server and would like to down scale it to a small server. Is this possible, still without reinstalling everything on the smaller server?

If yes, anyone with good experience of this?

BR
    /Henrik

Monday, August 13, 2012 7:22 AM

Answers

• You can do it through azure preview portal.

Take a look at the screenshot here

Please mark the replies as Answered if they help and Vote if you found them helpful.

Monday, August 13, 2012 8:19 AM

All replies

• I believe you wont have any issues with your software installed on the machine if they are not on the persistent disks.

Based on the size of your VMs the no of persistent disks that you can attach will vary.

On azure VM C drive is the OS drive and one disk can be attached for the smallest VM with 1 TB size. As long as your softwares are installed only using these disks you are good. Otherwise also as long as your data disk is safe and attached to the VM there wont be any issue even if you up scale or down scale the VM with respect to size.

I dont think we can have any softwares upt to 1 TB (which is allowed for smallest VM). So scale up and down wont be an issue.

I did a small test installing some softwares, and then scaled up and down without detaching first data disk. Nothing happend to my softwares.

You can also run a small test on this with the softwares you want to install.

Hope it helps.

Please mark the replies as Answered if they help and Vote if you found them helpful.

Monday, August 13, 2012 8:07 AM
  • How did you up or down scale the the VM? I can't figure that out... :(
    Monday, August 13, 2012 8:17 AM
  • You can do it through azure preview portal.

Take a look at the screenshot here

Monday, August 13, 2012 8:19 AM
  • Thanks, that was just what I was looking for :)
    Monday, August 13, 2012 8:33 AM