none
SQL Connection Strings using .net sqlclient.sqlConnection

Question

• Currently I am Lost and Clueless...and really could use some help....     (.net 2005)

Using ADO I am able to connect to SQL Server from outside my network as follows....

Dim A as New ADODB.Connection
    A.Open("Provider=SQLOLEDB;Initial Catalog=DBName;Integrated Security='';Persist Security Info=False;Data Source=server IP address,winsock tcp/ip port;Network Library=dbmssocn;User ID=domain\user id;Password=password")

I know you will see something that shouldn't work Integrated Security='', but believe it or not, this is the only way it will work....using No or False produces:

Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status value, if available. No work was done.

So, what the heck.....   To be more mainstream I figured why not employ the Dataset so I can put the datagridview to work, work in a memory with the Dataset and update the DB when done...little connection time.....SO......

I've employed this....

Dim D As New SqlClient.SqlConnection("Database=THGName;Server=server ip address,winsock tcpip port;Network Library=dbmssocn;User ID=domain\user id;Password=password;Trusted_Connection=False;")D.Open()

I've tried every conceivable variation of this...Integrated Security=no and false...trusted_connection=no..I've taken things out, added things in (even Type System Version=SQL Server 2000;)....but always come to one very definate result.... I guess this is my lesson in humility.....

Login failed for user 'domain\user id'

I mean, it's the same connection to the same DB and server as the ADO connection..."What Could I Possibly Be Missing??????"

It's apparent I am doing something wrong, but after 4 hours and a million variations of the string above...I am LICS  (Lost In Cyber Space)...

Any Help would be Greatly Appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Tim

Thursday, August 14, 2008 12:18 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Tim,

This forum is for SQL Server Data Services. You might want to post your question here -> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=87&SiteID=1

Good luck,
    Dave
    Thursday, August 14, 2008 10:14 PM
  • Hello Tim,

I am kind of new working with Data bases, I normally work with control systems but this time I was asked to develop a soft app in wich a user in any part of the world connects to a server in my LAN.  I believe that the first thing I have to do is to get a fix IP address, is that correct? Secondly I have to configure the modem that distributes the internet to my lan, is that correct? 
    I would appreciate if you provide me info related to this application or if you can let me know where I can find this info.

Thanks
    Fausto
    Friday, August 15, 2008 2:24 AM
  • Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info...  I'm new to these Forums....  I'll give that a look...

Have a Great Day,
    Tim
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 11:21 PM
  • Hi Fausto,

Using ADO, connections to a DB on the LAN/WAN doesn't seem to be a problem, however using this also has the drawback of many calls to the DB/Network Use.  Not to mention Stateful connection can have a lot of overhead. 

What appears to be a good method, ADO.net, using DataSets.  However, as indicated above, I've yet to be able to authenticate using this (Authentication Failed for user domain/user ID).

I think, as we both appear to be looking for an answer to the same basic question, this is the location I am starting at (Thanks to Dave Above)..http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2008/04/30/steps-to-troubleshoot-connectivity-issues.aspx

Good Luck,
    Have a Great Day,
    Tim
    Wednesday, August 20, 2008 11:31 PM