none
SQL Azure database to SQL Azure database communication supported?

Question

• We have a requirement to perform SQL Azure to SQL Azure database communication for a client that we are working with. 

We believe that this is unsupported.  To prove this we setup two SQL Azure databases (1 + 2) under the same SQL Azure server.  When we try to query one from the other using a simple TSQL statement, for example:

SELECT * FROM "XXXXXX@database.windows.net”.Database2.dbo.Orders

We get the following error:

Msg 40515, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Reference to database and/or server name in 'XXXXX.database.windows.net.Database2.dbo.Orders' is not supported in this version of SQL Server.

We were wondering if this is feature is in the SQL Azure road map to be supported and if so when will this be?   

Saturday, May 21, 2011 10:02 PM

Answers

• Hello John,

This is not possibe, SQL Azure don't support three- and/or four part qualifier, you can' select data from a different database, only from that one you are connected to.

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 4:08 AM

All replies

• Hello John,

This is not possibe, SQL Azure don't support three- and/or four part qualifier, you can' select data from a different database, only from that one you are connected to.

Olaf Helper
    * cogito ergo sum * errare humanum est * quote erat demonstrandum *
    Wenn ich denke, ist das ein Fehler und das beweise ich täglich
    Blog Xing
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 4:08 AM
  • Hi,

As of now the cross database reference is not supported. However, it is one of top voted feature on SQL Azure feature voting on mygreatwindowsazureidea.com - you can view the requested feature here - i encourage you to go and vote for your feature as one of my idea was completed in the recent release and the team is definetly monitoring this forum.

HTH,

Paras Doshi, I blog about SQLAzure @ http://www.parasdoshi.com
    Sunday, May 22, 2011 10:10 AM