none
Syntax checking a command in SSMS Connected to SQL Azure executed the command

All replies

• Hello, I can't reproduce this issue. Can you tell me the detailed repro steps? It is true that you will see a message "Command(s) completed successfully." when clicking the Parse Button. But this will not execute the command. You will see the same behavior if you parse a command targeting local SQL Server. This message simply tells you there's no error in your T-SQL command, and you can go on to execute it, if you wish to.
    Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 2:01 AM
  • Clicking the parse icon in SSMS seems to affect two kinds of commands only (from what I have seen so far),

Create database someName

or

Drop database someName

But queries against the database such as Select Queries parse OK.

I don't mind giving you my credentials to login but you can trust me on this.

Connect to SQL Azure's 'master' in SSMS (The one that got installed with SQL Server 2008 R2 Nov-CTP) with a login that can create/drop databases.

Do not execute the commands.
    Just parse them
    Do not execute
    Refresh the databases node and you should find the new database.

I have tried this on a on-site SQL Server 2008 R2 database and I don't see this anomolous behaviour.

mysorian
    Tuesday, March 09, 2010 4:18 AM
  • Hi, sorry for the late response. I just reproduced this problem for Create/Drop database commands. I'll foward it to the product team.
    Lante, shanaolanxing This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, March 15, 2010 3:47 AM
  • Is this fixed in the latest update(not sure SU2 or SU3)?
    mysorian
    Friday, April 23, 2010 12:56 PM
  • Hi, this is a problem in SSMS, and nothing need to be fixed on the server side. Please wait for the next release of SQL Server 2008 R2.
    Monday, April 26, 2010 1:44 AM
  • I am using SSMS from SQL Server 2008 R2 SP 1 and this is still happening. Is this issue getting fixed?

Wednesday, November 30, 2011 12:23 AM
  • I'm seeing the same behaviour with "CREATE DATABASE <db_name> AS COPY OF".

SMSS version 10.50.1600.1

Mike McIver
    Sunday, December 11, 2011 7:32 PM