Any replacement for XNA?

질문

• Not sure if anyone from Microsoft can even comment on this, but is there going to be an equivalent replacement for XNA? I REALLY liked the XNA framework, and would be really sad if that all went out the window.

Even if someone can give me a simple "yes" or "no", it would help.

Thanks guys!

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
    • 이동됨 BillFillMicrosoft employee 2011년 9월 15일 목요일 오후 1:25 dev question (From:Windows Developer Preview: General OS questions )
    2011년 9월 15일 목요일 오후 1:12

답변

모든 응답

• Not in Metro, apparently.  I asked about that in the forum "Building Metro style games with DirectX", and the reply was that you need C++ to use DirectX.  There doesn't seem to be any new managed API for low-level access to DirectX.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wingameswithdirectx/thread/ba5338a3-9372-4be6-aaeb-b6e56cf7ff3b

2011년 9월 15일 목요일 오후 1:25
  • Thanks for the answer and the link, Chris.

Like I said in your post, comparing C# and XNA to C++ and DirectX is like comparing apples and high-energy tokamak reactor engineering. I tried for a long time to get into DirectX, and it never stuck for me. I'm no slouch, either, I've programmed since Pasdcal and Fortran and currently work as a SQL Dev, but DirectX always left me cold.

Here's to hoping they have something up their sleeves to surprise us with.

2011년 9월 15일 목요일 오후 1:33
  • I'm not sure but it only seems to mention it not being available in the developer preview. I can hardly believe MS is going to drop XNA from Windows 8 all together. Especially with the announcement that WP apps will run on Metro. They seemed really invested in the whole WP7 XNA development, maybe it will be in the BETA build?
    2011년 9월 15일 목요일 오후 1:39
  • Maybe... I can but hope!

I thought XNA was the perfect, managed way to unite game coding for all the platforms, be it Zune, Phone, XBox, or Windows. You'd think they'd want to leverage that approach, given that Windows 8 is trying to be a "hybrid" OS, to unite tablets and desktops.

Trying to use DirectX in the same capacity as XNA would be... <shudder>

2011년 9월 15일 목요일 오후 1:51
  • Exactly, they would be closing off most game developers they just attracted with the XNA approach.  It makes me wonder if I would be able to install XNA on W8 the way I installed it on Server 2008R2. Project for tonight!
    2011년 9월 15일 목요일 오후 2:38
  • Let the hacking begin!

Let us know how it works, eh? I'm very curious to see if it actually installs!

2011년 9월 15일 목요일 오후 3:17
  • Although you can't use XNA in a Metro style application with the Developer Preview (see http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465136(v=VS.85).aspx), you can use DirectX 11.

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Simple-Direct3D-111-Game-b18d89cb

2011년 9월 15일 목요일 오후 5:16
    중재자
  • If I might be so bold, that doesn't quite answer my question... will Windows 8, in it's full form, have XNA, or an equivalent of XNA?

If you can't answer that directly, that's fine... you could always just bold the words 'Metro style application with the Developer Preview' and I'll take that as a nudge nudge wink wink and be happy, if that's indeed the case.

2011년 9월 15일 목요일 오후 5:28
  • I completely agree this is not an answer. I'm quite good at XNA, but I would not be able to make anything like that in DX and C++.

Maybe it's just me, but the term Metro style application, does this mean you can use XNA but not use stuff like tombstoning? I.e. have a regular W7 type XNA game?

2011년 9월 16일 금요일 오전 7:36
  • I wanted to follow up on this.  XNA Game Studio remains the premier tool for developing compelling games for both Xbox LIVE Indie Games and Windows Phone 7. There are already more than 70 Xbox LIVE games on Windows Phone and over 2000 published Xbox LIVE Indie titles built with XNA. While the XNA Game Studio framework does not currently support the creation of Metro style games, Windows 8 offers game developers the choice to develop games in the language they are most comfortable with, at the complexity level they desire, with the option to utilize a huge variety of third party tools and libraries. If you want to program in managed C#, you can. If you want to write directly to DirectX in C++, you can. Or if you want the ease of use, flexibility, and broad reach of HTML and Javascript, you can use that as well. In addition, the new Windows 8 Store opens up a means for easily publishing Metro style games to a large audience.

You might find this a useful resource also.

Migrating a Windows Phone 7 app to XAML
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465136(v=VS.85).aspx

2011년 9월 21일 수요일 오후 11:04
    중재자
  • I saw all the way down at the bottom on Brian's linked article where it compares the framework namespaces with the new namespaces and there is a bullet for XNA and for the new namespace it says: "No equivalent at this time."

So it still seems confusing about the XNA status. I would guess, stay tuned.

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline
    2011년 9월 22일 목요일 오전 2:56
  • Help me understand how your response is helpful in answering the OP's question?

XNA Game Studio remains the premier tool for developing compelling games for both Xbox LIVE Indie Games and Windows Phone 7. There are already more than 70 Xbox LIVE games on Windows Phone and over 2000 published Xbox LIVE Indie titles built with XNA.

Ok, XNA is great. Got it.

While the XNA Game Studio framework does not currently support the creation of Metro style games"

Ok, No metro for XNA. Understood.

Windows 8 offers game developers the choice to develop games in the language they are most comfortable with, at the complexity level they desire, with the option to utilize a huge variety of third party tools and libraries. If you want to program in managed C#, you can. If you want to write directly to DirectX in C++, you can. Or if you want the ease of use, flexibility, and broad reach of HTML and Javascript, you can use that as well.

And now the spin... Rather than stop with "No metro for XNA" you tell us that Windows 8 is great! You can build apps in all of the soon-to-be-legacy ways of building apps! Whohoo!

In addition, the new Windows 8 Store opens up a means for easily publishing Metro style games to a large audience.

And now you're just taunting us. Telling us how easy it is to publish metro apps (which we can't build with XNA) in the new Windows 8 Store appears to be some lame attempt to make everything look a-ok.

You might find this a useful resource also.

Migrating a Windows Phone 7 app to XAML
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465136(v=VS.85).aspx

And now the hammer: point us to a reasource that re-affirms there is no namespace equivilant for XNA in WinRT/Metro. In summary what you really said IMO was:

XNA is great; we know many of you have invested you hard earned money & time in building these thousands of XNA games. No you can't use XNA in Metro but you can keep coding XNA in soon-to-be-legacy languages and frameworks of your choice. Here's a conversion to Metro reference just so you're sure we don't care about you.

This spin was pervasive with the Windows division folks I spoke with a BUILD. IMO, it's really sad you can't be honest with yourselves on what WinRT/Metro means to us XNA and Silverlight/WPF developers today.

2011년 9월 23일 금요일 오후 7:35
  • Thank you for the feedback.  We hear you.  At this time, XNA can’t be used to write metro-style games, and we can’t comment on the future now.  We’ll take this feedback to the product team; if you would like to do so, can you also submit feedback using the Windows Feedback Tool from the Connect Site associated with your Windows Developer Preview program? If you’re an MSDN subscriber, the information on how to join the Connect program is included on the download page where you installed Windows Developer Preview.  There’s a link to the Connect site and an invitation code that you can click on to join using a Windows Live ID account. If you’re not an MSDN subscriber follow this limited use link to join the Connect program and then follow the steps here
    2011년 9월 26일 월요일 오후 6:06
    중재자
  • Death,

I just had to reply to say I spoke to Death. Maybe I will make a T-shirt about this note. :)

The Developer Preview is so early I would expect a lot of things to change - they always do. Knowing XNA is a whole wrapper over DirectX I would expect the wrapper may not even be defined yet (just guessing). There was so much talk of C++ at Build that I would not be surprised if the impact of the C++ changes has not been completely determined. I am not an XNA expert and I am just speaking my opinion of reading this thead, but I would guess that the C++ implementation of WinRT would come first then followed by wrappers so this may just be a priorities thing.

Thanks,

If this answers your question, please use the "Answer" button to say so | Ben Cline

• 편집됨 Ben Cline1MVP 2011년 9월 26일 월요일 오후 10:53
    2011년 9월 26일 월요일 오후 10:48
  • I don't know if this would satisfy the hardcore XNA dev's, but personally I am happy with DrawingSurface in Silverlight 5 - maybe that could be incorporated into Metro apps a bit quicker and easier than the entire Xna framework?

Going forward in this direction makes more sense to me because you get the best of both worlds - great UI (input, menuing) controls as well as great graphics capabilities.

2011년 9월 28일 수요일 오전 1:10
  • Hello,

What is the current state of this thread?

How XNA will supported in Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 and future releases?

What is the official managed DirextX way?

BTW. As I understand WinRT with C# will be unmanaged (ref.counting), so why not we can just use DirectX directly from C# in Windows 8 and in Windows Phone 8?

2012년 6월 27일 수요일 오전 8:10
  • Hi Devenyi,

XNA is not supported for Metro style apps. There are no official managed DirectX wrappers provided, but there are 3rd party wrapper libraries. I believe some are currently available and some are being worked on.

Your understanding about C# isn't quite correct. While the underlying WinRT classes are native, a C# app which calls them is still managed and uses garbage collection rather than ref counting. It would be

There are several more current threads discussing XNA and managed DirectX options in the Building Metro style apps with Direct3D forum. If you wish to discuss it further please do so in that forum.

This forum is for discussion of developing Metro style apps for Windows 8. Windows Phone development discussion should be directed to the Windows Phone forums on the App Hub. For information on Windows Phone 8 please see Channel 9 : Windows Phone Summit  and the Status update: Windows Phone 8 Developer Tools (2012.06.21) post in the App Hub. Full developer details have not yet been announced.

--Rob

2012년 6월 28일 목요일 오후 6:01
    소유자
  • Is this the official answer? Direct X!

Please tell me this is a joke? Direct X is the single worst framework I have ever had the misfortune to program with, Poor documentation, indecipherable flag parameters, overly complex calls (so it can be backwards compatible....) I got as far as getting a ball moving on the screen and gave up as it was just too frustrating (and I am a .net developer of 10 or so years!). XNA was a breath of fresh air, simple well thought out calls, and very well documented. Plus very close to write once for xbox360 and windows. Shame Microsoft failed to promote Indie games on 360 well enough for it to become a world beating platform and Failed to promote XNA properly full stop.

Please tell me that all the time I have invested in XNA is not wasted? Please microsoft don't tell me that it has been dropped due to Metro (Which looks like an absolute mess of Windows Vista proportions)? If this is the case then I will be sticking with Windows 7 and hoping I help Windows 8 to die an early death.

Is there any sort of XNA replacement planned? any at all? Or will direct x 12 fix all that is wrong with directx?

2012년 10월 10일 수요일 오후 8:12
  • The only explanation is that the system hackers at Microsoft love C++ and DirectX!  Hey, when I worked at Hewlett Packard, I programmed firmware mainly in assembly language, and I was the same way: "Why on earth would you use something high-level when you have SOOOOO much power and control using low-level stuff.  Look I can access interrupt vectors directly, do cool tricks by modifying the heap and stack, etc. etc.  It's SOOOO easy to switch between the two."  lol.

You have to realize that those guys live, sleep, breath, and eat C++ and DirectX.  So it's no problem for them. 

But please Microsoft.  Come up with something like XNA for those of us that aren't 24/7 system hackers.
    2012년 11월 4일 일요일 오후 9:11
  • Hi, just found a great replacement.

Its MonoGame, not sure, but seems its done by XNA developers for XNA developers.

Mostly you dont modify yr XNA game (u dont even modify yr usings), but great advantage is that you can build your apps to IOS, Linux, Android, (and ofcourse PC, XBOX and WP) with minor modifications.

Actually, i found this framework, because there were no shaders in XNA for WP8, however all hardware now supports both Vertex & Pixel shaders. Now, there are no limitations ! but warn that in .fx replace yr POSITION0 with SV_POSITION (this works in both XNA and MonoGame)

• 편집됨 ios29A 2013년 9월 14일 토요일 오전 7:27
    2013년 9월 14일 토요일 오전 7:22
  • Monogame
    2014년 2월 11일 화요일 오전 12:08
  • Hi

we have option to use "monogame" instead of "XNA". It's a open source library from codeplex . Use below link for downloading library which is contain the DirectX component also.

http://monogame.codeplex.com/

2014년 2월 12일 수요일 오전 4:44