none
Reading/Writing NFC tags

Pregunta

• Hi,

I'm interested in building an application that can read (and write if possible) NFC tags.
    Reading the documentation and going through the samples, there's no mention of tags or how you can subscribe to a tag message (except URL which I am not interested in.) Basically I want to store a small amount of data on a tag and have the application read it (the data can be written with the application if possible or with an external device/app).

Does anyone have any information about the following:

• Are NFC tags supported by Windows 8 Consumer Preview? (the hardware I have is the Samsung Slate PC handed out at \\BUILD)
    • Are there any sources of information on how to read/write tags (SubscribeForMessage receives a message type string. Is there any supported except "WindowsUri"?)
    • Any information on the type of NFC tags supported?

Help with this would be really appreciated as I have not found any valuable information.

Thanks,

Romeo

jueves, 01 de marzo de 2012 13:17

Respuestas

Todas las respuestas

• You can publish custom messages beginning with "Windows." with the ProximityDevice.PublishMessage API. This is demonstrated in the Proximity sample in scenario two. You can publish NDEF tags with ProximityDevice.PublishBinaryMessage .

I don't believe the //build/ Slates can write to NFC tags, but I may be wrong on that. I'll check and get back to you.

--Rob

miércoles, 07 de marzo de 2012 3:37
  • Hi Rob,

This is excellent information.
    Am I correct in assuming that we can use ProximityDevice.SubscribeForMessage to read the tags (by passing in a "WindowsCustomMessageType" parameter) as long as the tags are properly written?

Regards,

Romeo

sábado, 10 de marzo de 2012 14:55
  • Hi,

Any luck on finding that information ? Im interested in writing to one of those NFC RFID tags given out at Build, using the Build developer machine.

Regards,

Simon

lunes, 02 de abril de 2012 9:15
  • I'm also looking for sample to write NFC tags.

Thanks

Hitesh

viernes, 06 de abril de 2012 17:44
  • You can publish custom messages beginning with "Windows." with the ProximityDevice.PublishMessage API. This is demonstrated in the Proximity sample in scenario two. You can publish NDEF tags with ProximityDevice.PublishBinaryMessage .

I don't believe the //build/ Slates can write to NFC tags, but I may be wrong on that. I'll check and get back to you.

--Rob

Hi Rob,

Have you got chance to confirm on this?

-Hitesh

• Editado Hitesh_Jain viernes, 06 de abril de 2012 17:59
    viernes, 06 de abril de 2012 17:58
  • If you install the Consumer Preview build and grab the latest NXP driver from Windows Update tag writing should be supported.

-Mike [MSFT]

miércoles, 30 de mayo de 2012 22:59
  • Hi,

I'm interested in building an application that can read (and write if possible) NFC tags.
    Reading the documentation and going through the samples, there's no mention of tags or how you can subscribe to a tag message (except URL which I am not interested in.) Basically I want to store a small amount of data on a tag and have the application read it (the data can be written with the application if possible or with an external device/app).

Does anyone have any information about the following:

• Are NFC tags supported by Windows 8 Consumer Preview? (the hardware I have is the Samsung Slate PC handed out at \\BUILD)
    • Are there any sources of information on how to read/write tags (SubscribeForMessage receives a message type string. Is there any supported except "WindowsUri"?)
    • Any information on the type of NFC tags supported?

Help with this would be really appreciated as I have not found any valuable information.

Thanks,

Romeo

Someone have progress on Reading NFC tags?

• Editado Popeye_Cn jueves, 21 de junio de 2012 2:30
    jueves, 21 de junio de 2012 2:28
  • In general when using the ProximityDevice API, there is no need to distinguish between whether you are reading from a tag, or another device. All that matters is that the message you are expecting is what is written on the tag. If you have written the tag, then you control what message is on it. Otherwise you just need to know what to expect.

All supported message types are listed here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh701129.aspx

All standard NFC Forum tags are supported.

-Mike [MSFT]

jueves, 21 de junio de 2012 18:35
  • Hi Mike,

I used android device to read IC cards, and get the message type such as nfc-a,nfc-v...

How can I read this type tag in win8?

martes, 10 de julio de 2012 7:21
  • You will need to know what type of content is on the card and subscribe to that. If you subscribe to NDEF you will receive all NDEF message types, though if you don't know what content type you are expecting, it will be difficult to handle all content types.

-Mike [MSFT]

miércoles, 11 de julio de 2012 1:16