none
how to update windows store apps

Question

• Hi,

I have first version of windows store app ready for release but have one question related to app updates strategy.

Suppose my application is storing sqlite database at path "Windows.Storage.ApplicationData.Current.LocalFolder.Path".

I want to update my application with new features without changing database/files installted in above location.

When I create a update package will it impact the previous deployed path? does the update is re-installation of whole application or just adding/updating dlls without changing previous installation location?

please correct me if wrong as m new to winRT development.

SDhiraj

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 5:51 AM

Answers

• Hi SDhiraj,

The local data stored from your application ( kind of %APPDATA% ) will not  be overwritten by new releases.

So if you don't have any modification on the sqlite part, no worries.

Of course you have to handle the fact that, in case you have to modify existing db structures,  you have to deploy the app in a way that during installation and only during that time, it will update existing structures on your customer phone.

I think there are quite some functionalities in order to do that...

let me know if this was useful for you :)

• Marked as answer by SDhiraj Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:38 AM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:36 AM

All replies

• Hi SDhiraj,

The local data stored from your application ( kind of %APPDATA% ) will not  be overwritten by new releases.

So if you don't have any modification on the sqlite part, no worries.

Of course you have to handle the fact that, in case you have to modify existing db structures,  you have to deploy the app in a way that during installation and only during that time, it will update existing structures on your customer phone.

I think there are quite some functionalities in order to do that...

let me know if this was useful for you :)

• Marked as answer by SDhiraj Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:38 AM
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:36 AM
  • Thanks. That was helpful. I need to think on database structure update strategy as it should not impact existing data at user side.

SDhiraj

Tuesday, August 27, 2013 6:40 AM