none
How to programmatically get / change ringtone and alert tones

Question

• Does anyone know how to get the name of the existing filename ringtone and alert tone sounds?  Also, is there a way to programmatically change these?
    Sunday, April 21, 2013 4:34 AM

Answers

• Windows Mobile is some completely different beast, I am afraid. Unfortunately, this area is still restricted for the time being. Maybe things get better in the future :)

Toni Petrina
    My blog: Toni codes .NET
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful"

• Marked as answer by chrisdudes Sunday, September 01, 2013 9:16 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:45 PM

All replies

• An app cannot access existing ringtone or alert sounds; however, your app can save a media file to be used as a ringtone... see: "How to use the SaveRingtoneTask for Windows Phone" http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/hh394008(v=vs.105).aspx

-Eric.

• Proposed as answer by Darin Rousseau Wednesday, April 24, 2013 12:04 PM
    Monday, April 22, 2013 9:00 PM
    Owner
  • Yeah, I've seen that.  However, I see all over where it claims that you can use System.IO.  However, using this causes errors, UNLESS (according to docs) you use

Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.MyPictures 

But that special folder doesn't exist in Windows Phone 8... (I was hoping there was a special folder for MyRingtones).

All I'm trying to do is find out what the CURRENT ringtone is. And what the current ALARM tone is.  Any idea on how to do that? 

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 3:19 AM
  • Judging from lack of response, I'm wondering if this is at all possible?
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 7:00 PM
  • Which part: enumerating existing ringtones or creating new ones?

Toni Petrina
    If a post answers your question, please click "Mark As Answer" on that post and "Vote as Helpful"

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:11 PM
  • Either one would be helpful at this point.  Either enumerating existing, or getting what's been currently selected... Also, it would be really nice to be able to set the ringtone to NONE.  Other than creating a blank sound file and setting it to that of course.
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:32 PM
  • Well, there is no API for that, there is only for saving a music file as ringtone (the link provided by Erick).

Toni Petrina

Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:35 PM
  • But there was an API for previous versions of Windows Mobile, correct?  I just want to make sure I'm not travelling down some rabbit hole.
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:44 PM
  • Windows Mobile is some completely different beast, I am afraid. Unfortunately, this area is still restricted for the time being. Maybe things get better in the future :)

Toni Petrina

• Marked as answer by chrisdudes Sunday, September 01, 2013 9:16 AM
    Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:45 PM
  • Does anything has changed in WP 8.1?
    Tuesday, April 22, 2014 4:21 PM