none
How do i run SQL Server Compact 3.5 on Windows 8 developer preview?

Question

• Hi,

I have a Windows Phone app that maintains a local sql compact 3.5 database. Windows 8 developer preview only has SQL server compact 4.0 installed and it seems SQL server compact 4.0 doesn't support LINQ. So I unintalled sql ce 4.0 and installed sql ce 3.5. But the app still failed with "Failed to find or load the registered .Net Framework Data Provider." I also tried to modify the machine.config file, still got the same error. (my change to the macine.config was overwriten by the system at some point).

Then I noticed that the sql ce 3.5 was installed in the folder C:\Program Files (x86), instead of the C:\Program Files, in which the original sql ce 4.0 located. It looks like the system still couldn't find sql ce 3.5.

Has anyone ever tried running sql ce 3.5 on Windows 8 developer preview? Does the latest sql ce 4.0 support LINQ?

Thanks ahead!

Dan

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 6:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Dan,

SQL CE (nor any other version of SQL) is not supported for Metro style apps.

--Rob

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 7:19 PM
    Owner
  • Thank you, Rob. Guess I'll have to wait for the Windows Phone 8 release.
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:20 PM
  • This isn't for real, is it? How do you expect people to manage larger sets of data on tablets? Screw LINQ2XML for one, that's a messy abomination, all this messing around with the XML classes and tons of casting types.

OData in cloud services? Yeah no. First, for data privacy reasons (I want to write a personal finance app), and if there's a loss of data connection (no Wifi, roaming, whatever), the app's useless.

Monday, February 20, 2012 3:18 PM
  • I don't see businesses embracing "Metro" with such heavy limitations on it compared to what they could provide with a WinForms (or WPF) app.  If that's the way Microsoft intended it to be then that's Ok.  Personally though, I find the limitations sour me to Metro development especially since I deal with data frequently (and if a user is a desktop user, with a lot of power, why slow down data operations by forcing them into the cloud when the cloud isn't needed).  Unfortunately it just makes another point that Metro is for designed tablets and the desktop is an after thought. 

In my opinion, apps can be created with developer specified capabilities that a user has to agree to (and preseumably, like WP7, you can target one of the versions so people don't see the app if they're not running the correct OS version).  On the same note, why can't Metro apps be tailored for Desktop or Mobile?  I understand that tablet users may benefit from the stripped down environment, but most desktop installations I assume are going to come with the full .Net Framework 4.5? 

For someone who is playing catch up, these limitations seem like a bad idea when catering to developers which is what MS needs to get back in the game (I understand the security ramifications of allowing more of the framework to be accessible).

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 6:14 PM
  • I can't believe that Microsoft is NOT going to leverage SQL CE on Metro.  Why saddle us with a second rate, almost a database tool?  Are they just trying to limit the number of apps that are developed for Metro?  Do they have a yet to be announced product?  With Microsoft's almost limitless capital you would think that the cost to get SQL CE to run on ARM would not be an issue.  It is a mystery.
    Monday, May 28, 2012 7:30 PM
  • Please refer to the following blog from Tim on how you can use SQLite instead for Metro Style applications.

http://timheuer.com/blog/archive/2012/05/20/using-sqlite-in-metro-style-app.aspx

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Himadri

Friday, August 31, 2012 4:34 PM
  • There's one major problem with SQLite... no built in encryption support (at least not from what I could glean out of their documentation).  Sure, there are extensions, but how many of those will pass the Windows Store guidelines?  I agree that it's absolutely infuriating that Microsoft hasn't released, nor has any documented plans to release, a version of SQL CE, or something like it, for WinRT.  I'm sorry, but not every developer out there can afford an Azure license, and even if Azure was completely free, there STILL should be a native way of storing relational data for when the device isn't connected to the internet.  I really hope that I've just missed something, and that MS is planning on fixing this.
    Saturday, December 01, 2012 7:46 AM
  • There are other limitations with SQLite too.  No support for RT/Win Phone 7/7.5/8.  How does Microsoft expect developers to write software without a local storage solution when connectivity is down??

- Robert Beaubien

Sunday, December 02, 2012 3:52 PM
  • Sqlite is supported on windows phone 8.

You can use coolstorage to use sqlite on windows phone 7

http://viciproject.com/wiki/Projects/CoolStorage/WindowsPhone

Sunday, December 02, 2012 8:00 PM