none
How to download and extract .tar.gz file in windows 8 store apps

Question

• Hi,

I have .tar.gz (.tgz) file from server. How to download and extract this file in windows 8 store apps and then need to store this extracted files in storage.

Please anyone help me i'm newbie for windows 8 store apps.

Thanks,

Purushoth

Friday, December 14, 2012 1:48 PM

Answers

• As Chuck said, you will need to find a third party library which supports Windows Store apps. There are no Microsoft provided support for tar or gz, and we cannot make specific recommendations. It is possible that there aren't any existing libraries which support these formats in the Windows Store environment, in which case you will either need to implement it yourself or port one which has source available.

--Rob

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:37 PM
    Owner

All replies

• download you can do with the HttpClient but not sure how to extracted .tar.gz files

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Friday, December 14, 2012 2:53 PM
  • For the .tar.gz part, you would probably have to use a third party library to decompress the file. There are a number of .net libraries that might work, although I haven't tried them myself.
    Friday, December 14, 2012 2:55 PM
  • When i'm downloading .tar.gz file using HttpClient i received this error

(An exception of type 'System.Threading.Tasks.TaskCanceledException' occurred in mscorlib.dll but was not handled in user code

Additional information: A task was canceled.
    If there is a handler for this exception, the program may be safely continued.)                                  

Below the my code:                                                  

string resourceAddress ="My download link";
    var cli = new HttpClient();
    var respon = await cli.GetAsync(resourceAddress);
    var res = await respon.Content.ReadAsStreamAsync();

Please anyone help me to solve this issue.

Monday, December 17, 2012 4:42 AM
  • Please try to use background download to download this file. Sample http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Background-Transfer-Sample-d7833f61

Bob Bao

Do you still use the same Windows 8 LockScreen always? Download Chameleon Win8 App quickly, that changes your LockScreen constantly.
    你是否还在看着一成不变的Windows 8锁屏而烦恼,赶紧下载这个 百变锁屏 应用,让你的锁屏不断地变化起来。

Monday, December 17, 2012 5:02 AM
  • I can't able to use the SharpZipLib, Chilkat and SevenZipLib Library/.dll in my windows 8 store apps.

Please anyone suggest me a working .dll for windows 8 store apps.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 9:48 AM
  • As Chuck said, you will need to find a third party library which supports Windows Store apps. There are no Microsoft provided support for tar or gz, and we cannot make specific recommendations. It is possible that there aren't any existing libraries which support these formats in the Windows Store environment, in which case you will either need to implement it yourself or port one which has source available.

--Rob

Tuesday, December 18, 2012 5:37 PM
    Owner