none
Windows desktop apps vs Store apps

Question

• Dear Team

I am a part of an application development team for Windows RT. Due to insufficient privileges for device management,we are planning 

to shift the development to Windows 8 Pro.I need to know whether the console applications will behave as a windows store app

or do we have separate template to develop store app for windows 8 pro.

-Sathia

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• You need to use the windows store templates if you want the app to work in winrt

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:27 PM
  • The templates are the same for Windows Store apps in both Windows RT and Windows 8 Pro. A console app will not run the same way as a Windows Store app, although it can be launched from the start screen.
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 2:41 PM
  • Dear Hays

Thanks for your reply. If templates are the same then the restrictions in Win RT (device management - Programmatic screen lock, wifi configuration, restrict camera ,native browser,etc) will also continue for Windows 8 Pro.-Please correct me if I am wrong.

-Sathia

Wednesday, February 13, 2013 11:14 AM
  • You are correct, all Windows Store apps are sandboxed, and will have the same permissions on both Windows RT and Windows 8.
    • Marked as answer by S_SATHIA Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:17 PM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:40 PM
  • Have to note there are RT specific limitations, such as domain support, which could be a large issue for enterprise applications.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Thanks Hays for your reply.
    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 9:19 PM