none
wifi native support in Windows 8 (Metro apps)

Question

• Hi,

I am working to move some of my software to Win8 and a Metro.

I am wondering if there is actually any support to use the previous wlanapi to manage a wifi configuration ?

I guess i would have to allow my Metro apps to manage the wifi hardware but i don't see any option to do it.

I also tried to launch from a Metro apps a Desktop style application (working in stand alone in Win8) to manage use some wlanapi functions but it looks like i can't do it like that.

Do you have any help to provide to configure wifi within a Metro style apps ?

I think my question is also valid about managing any hardware that is not manage by the actual manifest (like NFC through Near-Field proximity).

Thanks

Christophe

Friday, October 14, 2011 9:12 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Christophe,

You'll need to write the configuration application as a Desktop app. 

You can get the list of Win32 APIs which are available to Metro style apps at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/br205757(v=VS.85).aspx or by looking in the SDK headers for APIs in Desktop family regions.

Metro style apps can't launch specific Desktop applications.  They can use the Launcher class to launch documents (*.txt, etc.) or protocols (http:, mailto:, etc.) into the default handler for those types.

--Rob

Friday, October 14, 2011 3:47 PM
    Owner
  • Hi Rob,

You didn't refer to Christopher's first question. about the manged wifi.

"I am wondering if there is actually any support to use the previous wlanapi to manage a wifi configuration ?"

For example, I want to connect to a specific WiFi Network. (for enterprise or other needs)

Is there an API for that? because I couldn't find it. alot of new mobile classes, connectivity, and networking, 

but no way to initiate a connection on WiFi through code (i.e.- give a SSID and a preSharedKey, etc...)

If so, what should we do. if there is, please elabrate on this.

Thanks,

Sunday, March 04, 2012 6:54 AM
  • Aviad,

The ProvisioningAgent.provisionFromXml() would allow you to push a set of WLAN profiles to Windows.  You cannot access the scan list or issue connect/disconnect requests.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/windows.networking.networkoperators.provisioningagent.provisionfromxmldocumentasync.aspx#Y288

Best Wishes - Eric

Wednesday, June 13, 2012 5:27 AM
  • Hi Eric,

It says in the ProvisioningAgent that:

" This functionality is only available to mobile operator apps and Metro style apps given privileged access by mobile network operators"

Doesn't that means I won't be able to to use that in my private app??

So basically - If I own a shop. and I want to allow my clients to connect to my WiFi only through my App.

How will the WinRT API for Win8 Stlye UI apps will allow me that?

Thanks,

Wednesday, August 08, 2012 8:46 AM