none
WP8 SDK Emulator "App Deployment Error"

Question

• Hi,

I verified I have Hyper-V and have met all requirements before installing the SDK.  I had to go into my BIOS settings and enable virtualization.  I ran the coreinfo.exe -v in the command prompt and all looked good.  I am running Windows 8 Pro with VS2012 Premium, core i7 with 8GB of RAM.

I opened a blank app and deployed the application.  The first time I deployed, I had to elevate my permissions, then the emulator appeared.  The emulator says "The Windows Phone OS is starting...", and then I do not get a response and my app does not launch. If I run Hyper-V Manager, I can see that the virtual machine is running (under Status, it says "Running"), but the CPU percentage goes to 0% after waiting for about 3 minutes.  When  I first deploy the application, I even see that it is connecting to the VM.

I can close the emulator, and it says "The Windows Phone Emulator is shutting down".  If I wait out the problem, I will either get an invalid pointer error, or an app deployment error.

Has anyone had this problem and came up with a resolution?  This happens when I select any emulator. Help!

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:51 PM

Answers

• Hello,

One possible tip for those who are getting "App Deployment error..." is to bypass one level of differencing disks during the emulator startup.

It turns out that VS starts 2 levels of differencing disks which puts a very high requirement on CPU and hard disk throughput for the virtual machine in order to start the emulator.   I have a low-end AMD cpu which is fully capable of running the Hyper-V but the computer in general has trouble starting the emulator.

When VS starts the "Emulator WVGA 512", it starts the XDE with a differencing disk located in the user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XDE directory.  The vhd base for this emulator is the Flash.480x800.vhd in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v8.0\Emulation\Images directory.  This Flash.480x800.vhd is in turn a differencing disk with the Flash.vhd as the true virtual hard disk. 

As reported by others, when starting the XDE with these two levels of differencing disks, the emulator displays "Starting the OS..." and then stops while the disk access in the Task Manager goes to 100% for several minutes.  The differencing disk grows and there is no response and the system times out and closes the emulator with the "App Deployment error...".

One workaround is to manually start the Flash.vhd and use the expanded vhd in place of the Flash.480x800.vhd. 

Steps:

1)  Follow the instructions in "how to create a start screen tile for the windows phone 8 emulator", which shows how to create a local Flash.vhd and start it manually.  It may take a while, but the emulator will start eventually and the Flash.vhd virtual disk will have expanded. It will also start much faster the 2nd time as the OS has fully booted.

2) Rename the "Flash.480x800.vhd" in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v8.0\Emulation\Images directory to something like "Flash.480x800_original.vhd" and then copy the expanded "Flash.vhd" to the "Flash.480x800.vhd" file.

3)  Start the Emulator WVGA 512 from Visual Studio.  VS will kick off a differencing disk in your AppData directory but now use the expanded Flash.480x800.vhd disk.  This will start much faster and avoids the step of another differencing disk.

Hope this helps,

Steve

• Proposed as answer by jigamuffin Saturday, March 30, 2013 10:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by anthward Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:15 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 7:17 PM

All replies

•  The first time I deployed, I had to elevate my permissions, then the emulator appeared.

This sounds like the permissions were not set correctly during install... you should not need to elevate privileges.

Is your user account a member of the administrators group?

Did you use the same user account for install as you use for development?

-Eric.

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 10:24 PM
    Owner
  • Eric,

I have admin rights on the account (my only account on the machine in fact).  I also went and "repaired" the installation and still no luck running the emulators - get the same message.

Thursday, November 01, 2012 1:19 AM
  • Hi, please check out the Emulator troubleshooter here. It is possible that third party software is interfering with the virtual network connection between VS and the emulator, or you may have a corrupt instance of VM running in Hyper-V.

-Mark

Mark Chamberlain Sr. Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Developer Support | Windows Phone 7

Thursday, November 01, 2012 5:51 PM
  • I had the same issue.  What it seemed to boil down to was that the emulator could not start before the timeout period.  I launched the emulator a couple times manually and it cleared up my issue.  Try this (of course editing for your specific installation)

this is my start480x800.bat

@echo off
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft XDE\8.0\xde.exe" -createDiffDisk "C:\Users\Greg\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XDE\dd.480x800.512.vhd" -vhd "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v8.0\Emulation\Images\Flash.480x800.vhd" 

--Greg

Thursday, November 01, 2012 7:12 PM
  • Mark,

I verified everything from the troubleshooting page.  I could not find any issues and my Hyper-V is setup properly.  The coreinfo.exe -v returns all good, as stated in the MSDN article about the requirements. I just completely uninstalled the SDK and reinstalled. 

I can now get the 512 emulator to run, but it does not show the Start Menu.  It only shows the area, where all your apps are listed.  This isn't typical, correct?

All other emulators continue to display "Windows Phone OS is starting..." and then do nothing.  Any other ideas?

Tony

Thursday, November 01, 2012 7:13 PM
  • I'm having the same problem, the emulator will not start and shuts down automatically after about 5 minutes, it worked right after SDK install but soon afterwards stopped working :(

cigisoft.net | yoyini.com

Thursday, November 01, 2012 10:40 PM
  • Well, when it was working with the 512 emulator, it was too good to be true.  After a restart of my machine, it stopped working (er... what it "was" working). I continue to have the original problem.

I even did a restore point from a few days ago (pre-SDK download), verified I had admin rights, re-downloaded/installed the SDK. Now it is back to not working again, same thing as Keozll.  I've erased all previous VMs in case there was a corrupt one and everything.  Still nothing.

Also, event logs show no problems or incompatibilities.

Mark, I can send you screenshots of everything if you would like or if it would help.

Tony

• Edited by anthward Friday, November 02, 2012 12:55 AM
    Friday, November 02, 2012 12:54 AM
  • Thex Interactive,

Is this a batch file you created yourself and run once?  Could you provide more specifics?  Where does your start480x800.bat file reside?

Anthony

• Edited by anthward Friday, November 02, 2012 4:27 PM
    Friday, November 02, 2012 4:26 PM
  • More info regarding launching the emulator standalone here.

-Mark

Mark Chamberlain Sr. Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Developer Support | Windows Phone 7

Friday, November 02, 2012 4:49 PM
  • If you are still seeing problems with launching Emulator, can you please let us know if you are running Windows from a bootable VHD?

Monday, November 05, 2012 10:25 PM
  • I am still having problems, but I just uninstalled the SDK.  I'll just continue to develop for 7.5 until I start seeing some resolutions for people with similar problems. I'm running Windows 8 from my machine directly, not a virtual disk.  The 7.x emulators appear to work fine.

My specs are:Windows 8 (clean install) with VS2012 Premium. i7-2670QM. 8GB of RAM. coreinfo.exe returned supporting all features as discussed in an MSDN article.

Mark - I tried running the commands in the help section through a batch file but did not have any luck.

I will be installing win8 and visual studio 2012 express with windows phone 8 SDK tomorrow on a company machine to see if I can get better results.

Anthony

• Edited by anthward Monday, November 05, 2012 11:00 PM
    Monday, November 05, 2012 10:29 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. Any solution?
    Friday, November 09, 2012 5:10 PM
  • In addition to checking the Emulator troubleshooter, for this particular problem where the emulator appears to time out trying to launch can be due to disk drive performance problems, possibly due to a fragmented file system or a disk drive that is near failure. You can try setting that drive aside and starting with a new fresh one.

-Mark

Friday, November 09, 2012 6:47 PM
  • I have same problem. I  running Windows from a bootable VHD.

Посетите http://danshin.ms - ИТ Блог по Exchange и технологиям Microsoft

Based on:

System requirements for Windows Phone Emulator

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/ff626524(v=vs.105).aspx

Running the Windows Phone 8 emulator from a bootable VHD is not supported
    !

So please consider the system requirements for running the Windows Phone 8 Emulator.

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 3:27 PM
  •  
    "anthward" - do you still have this problem on your "supported (?)" dev environment?
    Please let me know.
    Best regards

Klaus

Klaus Bassler

Thursday, December 06, 2012 11:33 AM
  • Hello, yes I am still having problems with one machine.  I did however get a new-er machine purchased and it runs just fine.

Thanks.

Anthony

Monday, December 10, 2012 3:47 AM
  • Hi I am having exactly the same problems as described at the very start of this thread. (Emulator starts but that's it - times out and then  get deployment failure  "invalid Pointer"

I have been trying to run the emulator manually as described in this thread and another thread referenced here.   Basically as part of the process it opens a z-Zip window to extract from the Flash.vhd file (seems to want to extract Flash.mbr"... it does that for a couple of minutes and then nothing.

I really don't understand the VHD process.. should it be doing this?  And if so, once its finished extracting  then what should happen?

- thanks - Peter

Thursday, December 20, 2012 4:32 AM
  • Also meant to say that I have checked everything out and it looks fine.

I have the Hyper Manager up and when I  run the emulator from Visula StudioI see the virtual machine start.. CPU usage goes up... and then.... nothing....

Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:41 AM
  • Hi Peter,

Your report suggests that it may be a computer performance problem; solutions are suggested in the emulator troubleshooter thread.

-Mark

Mark Chamberlain Sr. Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Developer Support | Windows Phone 8

Thursday, December 20, 2012 3:19 PM
  • Hi Mark

Thanks for the response.  I have been working through the emulator troubleshooter thread and the various things proposed there- but no joy so far.  

As far as a performance issue - this is a new new machine purchased specifically so I could run the WP8 emulator.  It has 8GB memory,  AMD A-6400 CPU and there is virtually nothing on the hard drive and in all other ways its is very quick.  I am struggling to see that how this problem could relate to performance.

I do not understand the manual vhd process - is it correct that it extracts something from the flash.nhd and what should happen once this has occurred?

- thanks

Thursday, December 20, 2012 5:28 PM
  • I just want to add an update here... I went into Hyper-V manager and started one of the VM's - Emulator-WVGA.Peter.

I then connected to it from within Hyper-V manager....  I waited  and waited and after maybe 7 or so minutes the WP8 Emulator appeared.   It was good to see believe me. Some progress!  If nothing else this proves that my machine is SLAT capable right?

From VS I tried to connect to the same emulator and it did not work - it stopped the one that was running and then started again and then it timed out...

Is there a way that I can start the emulator from Hyper-V like this and the connect to it from VS? 

I am still had no joy starting the emulator manually as per the instructions in another thread - not sure what it should be doing but it tries to 'open' the  .vhd file with an application - whereas I thought the virtual machine software should manage this.  if can somehow get to statr the emulator manually in this way, can I connect to that from VS?

- thanks - Peter

Friday, December 21, 2012 10:25 AM
  • Hi Peter

I was experiencing the same problem as described above. I wrangled with it for hours. Eventually I managed to get it working, although unfortunately I didn't log my steps properly to know exactly what it was that fixed it. I had previously followed all the advice on the trouble shooting page but didn't get anywhere. As a last resort, I reinstalled visual studio, then ran visual studio as an administrator (using right click and then run as administrator despite my account being an administrator account), then deleted the existing virtual machines so that visual studio created new ones. 

I hope this helps.

Ed

Sunday, January 20, 2013 11:10 AM
  • Hello all. 

Here is my case: when I installed SDK first time, everything was fine. Then I installed IIS and web matrix stuff. Emulator - just waiting to load, then error. So - after few attempts to deal with the problem I found solution: set you PC or laptop or whatever. When you get the phone 8 emulator problem, just repair the SDK. It works fine for me. I hope this helps. 

Saturday, March 02, 2013 12:38 PM
  • Hi Mark,

I am facing very similar kind of issue as posted by Anthward. I have Windows 8 (64Bit) Enterprise edition, Visual Studio 2012 Ultimate and Windows Phone 8 SDK installed. After everything is set, when I created my first phone application in Visual Studio and ran the application, the emulator run for quite sometime and got the error message saying, 'The Windows Phone Emulator wasn't able to connect to the windows phone operating system: The phone didnt respond to the connect request. Some functionality may be disabled.'

Though if I click 'Close' or leave as it, the emulator gets shutdown.

When I googled for trouble shooting this issue, they have asked me to check the SLAT, Virtualization compatibility. When I downloaded the tools, CoreInfo, Intel Utility and SLAT Status and run this to see the output I was weird. The Virtualization (VMX) and EPT is not enabled though i have enabled it in the BIOS. When I was looking into this issue, I read a link, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/devfish/archive/2012/11/06/are-you-slat-compatible-wp8-sdk-tip-01.aspx, which says the tools might lie once the Hypervisor has been enabled. Kindly suggest me on this as well as the emulator issue.

Please see below for the order I have started,

1) Formatted my system which has Windows 7.

2) Installed Windows 8 Enterprise (64-Bit)

3) Configured BIOS for Hyper-V

4) Ran the tool to check it is enabled.

5) Installed VS2012 Ultimate

7) Installed WP 8 SDK. When I did this, it configured the Hyper-V (Enabled the Hyper-V as mentioned in the link http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsphone/develop/jj863509%28v=vs.105%29.aspx

8) Restarted the system and I can see the Hyper-V manager in the start.

9) Created the Application for WP8 in VS 2012 and ran it. When the emulator prompted for 'Connect to Internet', I clicked yes. It tan for a long time (app 5 mnts) ad got the error message as attached in the image 1.

Apart from the above mentioned software I haven't installed other software (like VPN, VM ware etc.,,,). I am struggling on this for the past few days trying to fix this but I couldn't. Any ideas would be helpful and if incase of any further information i can post. Suggest me on this, thanks in advance.

Friday, March 08, 2013 10:06 AM
  • Hi,

If you can run Hyper-V Manager, then you can disregard further SLAT tests.

Unfortunately your attachment isn't appearing. But if you did a clean install and know there is no software that might be interfering then I would check the internet status.  Do you have a normal internet connection with HTTP? If not, perhaps the network stack is not fully configured. Can you run the emulator stand alone?

http://gauravmahajan.net/2013/02/06/launch-windows-phone-8-emulator-without-launching-visual-studio-2012/comment-page-1/

-Mark

Mark Chamberlain Sr. Escalation Engineer | Microsoft Developer Support | Windows Phone 8

Friday, March 08, 2013 3:40 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply. I tried attaching the screenshot but when I try to submit, it said I can't add unless my account gets verified and that's the reason I said my error message in words, 'The Windows Phone Emulator wasn't able to connect to the windows phone operating system: The phone didnt respond to the connect request. Some functionality may be disabled.'

Yes, I did a clean installation. As I said earlier I formatted the system, set the BIOS settings and I have only MS VS 2012 Ultimate and Windows Phone 8 SDK software got installed in the system.

I tried running the emulator standalone as mentioned in the link shared by you, but still I got the same error as I have attached but the emulator doesn't gets shut down. I can browse the emulator but the thing is I can't access the buttons (Back, Start and Search). Though I click on those buttons nothing is happening.

I do have internet access but it is limited. Since I am working in the organization they have restricted some sites. I can access all Microsoft websites and also all the websites related to the technology.

Kindly suggest me on this. Thanks in advance.

Monday, March 11, 2013 7:17 AM
  • Do the shortcut keys work? Perhaps you can you learn more about the problem by using them. The symptoms seem to suggest some sort of problem with a corrupted emulator.

-Mark

Monday, March 11, 2013 3:26 PM
  • Mark,

Yes, the shortcut keys worked. I browsed the emulator with the help of those keys. Are you trying to say the software package I have downloaded to install is in corrupted state or the software I have installed is corrupted ?

First my IT team downloaded the WPexpress_full.exe (1.0 MB) from this link http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35471 . When we try to install it displays the some error message. So we downloaded the full ISO package from this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=257234&clcid=0x409 and installed the SDK.

Could you please help me on this. Thanks in advance.
    Tuesday, March 12, 2013 12:50 PM
  • Hi Mark,

Waiting for your response for the above. Also, One more information needed. The Windows Phone 8 SDK ISO package, I have downloaded and unzipped the extracts and then installed using the executable available in the extract. Do I need to burn into package into disc and to be installed in the system ? or the procedure I followed is correct ?

Is there any setting that needs to be done at the system level ?

Wednesday, March 13, 2013 11:13 AM
  • Do I need to modify any settings (Network - IPV  4 settings) in the switch 'vEthernet (Internal Ethernet Port Windows Phone Emulator Internal Switch)' which gets created. As of now I have the default settings (the switch has the default IPAddress : 169.254.80.80).  Any idea would be of great help to me. Thanks.
    Thursday, March 14, 2013 10:38 AM
  • Hi,

So that means that you could reinstall the WP8 SDK finally, but you are still struggling with the application deployment, correct?

Does you network use proper DHCP?

Please have look into this thread here:

Windows Phone Emulator Internal Switch no IP adress
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wptools/thread/1734dac7-37a4-4d9a-bf89-42b6d493adda 

Klaus Bassler

Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:34 AM
  • Mark,

Finally after trial and error method, I disabled the Symantec Antivirus and when I ran the emulator stand-alone I didn't get any error. All the keys are accessible. But when I run the emulator through VS, after sometime the emulator gets shut down automatically without prompting any error message. I couldn't guess anything the reason for this. Does this mean, do I need to in-install my antivirus (Symantec) ? If that is the case then it would be against my corporate policy.

Any idea would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:36 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for this update.
    Good to hear that you are a big step further now!

I would recommend that you uninstall the Symantec solution(s) at least temporatily for a test to see if that improves the stability of the emulator, which I would expect.

In case not, after what time does it end? Is that always ~  the same timeframe?
    Does the emulator end also in case you use it?

If that problem disappears then you can try reinstalling the AV (+Firewall?) solution again (possibly also while the emulator is running). I have seen it more than once that with that existing configurations gets considered as "accepted" by such security related solutions, which means that it might still work stable with that installation sequence.

Regards

Klaus

Klaus Bassler

Thursday, March 14, 2013 11:49 AM
  • Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the information. I did un-installing the antivirus but it doesn't help me. The problem in running the emulator from VS still exists. The time frame is 5 minutes for every run and every 8.0 emulators (diff pixels). I can remember somewhere I modified the settings for timeout for the emulator but I searched everywhere I couldn't remember. Also please suggest me any ideas to fix this.

I read the link http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/wptools/thread/1734dac7-37a4-4d9a-bf89-42b6d493adda but that doesn't help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Friday, March 15, 2013 1:06 PM
  • Hello,

What version of Symantec Antivirus are you running? Is that SAV 10, SEP 11, SEP 12.1?

Did you restart the machine after uninstallation?

If the Symantec is uninstalled completely and still facing the issue that means Symantec would not be a creating an issue.

It is recommended to install the Latest version of Symantec Endpoint Protection 12.1 RU2 on oyur machine.

Friday, March 15, 2013 3:00 PM
  • Hi Mithun,

My corporate has the latest version of SEP (12.1) installed. I am still working on the different trouble shooting mechanism by having it un-installed. Keep you updated.

Klaus,

Any suggestion/idea on the time frame I have given. Thanks in advance.

Monday, March 18, 2013 7:20 AM
  • Klaus,

After long hours in trouble shooting the emulator, after un-installing the Symantec AntiVirus I un-installed the Windows Phone 8 SDK and re-installed again. After this it worked like a gem. I deployed my forst application in the windows Phone 8 emulator.

However, I have a concern here. When the emulator gets crashed like when I ran the application (in Debug mode) in the emulator I shut down the emulator before stopping the application in VS and re-run the application I am still getting the previous issues (after 5 mnts of running the emlator gets shut down). But when i re-install the Windows Phone 8 SDK it works again. i dunno y ????????

Now Iam going to instal the SAV as it is mandatory to have that as per our corporate policy. Give you a update once everything goes smoothly ...........

Monday, March 18, 2013 10:58 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for this update!

Good to hear that you got it working finally.

Lets see if the problem comes back once you installed SAV (with the latest updates) again.
    I hope not.

Please keep me in loop.
    //Klaus

Klaus Bassler

Monday, March 18, 2013 11:08 AM
  • Hello,

One possible tip for those who are getting "App Deployment error..." is to bypass one level of differencing disks during the emulator startup.

It turns out that VS starts 2 levels of differencing disks which puts a very high requirement on CPU and hard disk throughput for the virtual machine in order to start the emulator.   I have a low-end AMD cpu which is fully capable of running the Hyper-V but the computer in general has trouble starting the emulator.

When VS starts the "Emulator WVGA 512", it starts the XDE with a differencing disk located in the user\AppData\Local\Microsoft\XDE directory.  The vhd base for this emulator is the Flash.480x800.vhd in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v8.0\Emulation\Images directory.  This Flash.480x800.vhd is in turn a differencing disk with the Flash.vhd as the true virtual hard disk. 

As reported by others, when starting the XDE with these two levels of differencing disks, the emulator displays "Starting the OS..." and then stops while the disk access in the Task Manager goes to 100% for several minutes.  The differencing disk grows and there is no response and the system times out and closes the emulator with the "App Deployment error...".

One workaround is to manually start the Flash.vhd and use the expanded vhd in place of the Flash.480x800.vhd. 

Steps:

1)  Follow the instructions in "how to create a start screen tile for the windows phone 8 emulator", which shows how to create a local Flash.vhd and start it manually.  It may take a while, but the emulator will start eventually and the Flash.vhd virtual disk will have expanded. It will also start much faster the 2nd time as the OS has fully booted.

2) Rename the "Flash.480x800.vhd" in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SDKs\Windows Phone\v8.0\Emulation\Images directory to something like "Flash.480x800_original.vhd" and then copy the expanded "Flash.vhd" to the "Flash.480x800.vhd" file.

3)  Start the Emulator WVGA 512 from Visual Studio.  VS will kick off a differencing disk in your AppData directory but now use the expanded Flash.480x800.vhd disk.  This will start much faster and avoids the step of another differencing disk.

Hope this helps,

Steve

• Proposed as answer by jigamuffin Saturday, March 30, 2013 10:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by anthward Thursday, December 12, 2013 11:15 AM
    Monday, March 18, 2013 7:17 PM
  • Hi Klaus,

After the installation of antivirus, the emulator doesn't work. It reports the previous problem but it works when the antivirus is disabled. With I am starting my development as I don't want to waste another week on this. I will have a look in between and keep you posted. Suggest me on running the emulator after it gets crashed and by enabling the antivirus if you have anything.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:26 AM
  • Steve,

Thanks for your suggestion. I haven't tried your solution yet. I will keep you updated after trying your solution and keep you posted. Thanks a Lot.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:27 AM
  • Hey Im having this same issue. but Im picking up on a trend maybe... is everyone having this problem using a A6 AMD processor? I am.
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 2:51 AM
  • Thank you very much. I had the exact same problem as OP, and this worked. Thank you. 
    Saturday, March 30, 2013 10:38 AM
  • Hi Steve,

I've got my emulator running from a tile like step 1 and renamed the "flash.480x800vhd" as in step 2. But I don't know what you mean with the expanded "Flash.vhd".

I can't see a flash.vhd under "computer" in windows explorer. I don't know if you mean this?

Thanks,

Joost

Friday, July 26, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Thanks Steve - this worked perfectly for me.  I had seen the emulator working once on my machine, then it stopped working.  I'd uninstalled the SDK and reinstalled, and tried repair.

Copying the vhd, launching it manually, then replacing original with the expanded has been flawless so far.

Thursday, September 05, 2013 1:19 AM
  • Very nice catch. This solved my issue as well.

Thank you.

Thursday, December 12, 2013 6:32 AM
  • I solved this issue of this topic :

1. control panel

2. REPAIR Installation of windows phone SDK 8

3. REPAIR Installation of UPDATE 4

Everything got back to normal.

Monday, December 23, 2013 11:53 PM
  • Hiya Steve,

I've tried your suggestion and I've got a different problem! Now when I start the emulator it starts up and the emulator appears to be running ok (but stuck at Windows Phone OS is starting up) but in the Hyper-V manager the VM appears to be constantly restarting (the uptime goes from 0:00:00 to 0:00:03 and then back to 0:00:00 over and over again. When I ran the WP8-SDK VM that was created in the link that runs fine, so there's no problem with Hyper-V or the emulator itself.

I've tried deleting the differencing disks in AppData and that doesn't fix it either.

Switching back to the original flash.vhd stops the VM restarting problem, but leaves me with the 100% disk usage and the timeout before WP8 loads on the emulator.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Jack

Wednesday, August 27, 2014 1:02 PM