none
Directx

Answers

• "DirectX" is already installed on Windows 8 Consumer Preview. It is essentially the same as Windows 7 with the addition of the new DirectX 11.1 runtime features (Direct3D 11.1, DXGI 1.2, WDDM 1.2, and WARP with Feature Level 11.0 support).

Some of your games may make use of 'optional' DirectX SDK components as well as "DirectX" such as D3DX9 or XAUDIO2, in which case the game's installer should be deploying them using DirectSetup which works on Windows 8. Older versions of DirectSetup trigger the appcompat behavior to enable the .NET 3.5 Runtime support that is off by default on Windows 8 Consumer Preview and is needed to successfully run the older versions of DirectSetup.

You can also run the most current "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" to get all the 'optional' bits on your Windows 8 system, but it doesn't actually do anything at all like "Install DirectX" on any version of Windows since Windows XP Service Pack 2 in 2004.

See Not So Direct Setup, DXWSETUP Update, DXSETUP Update, and Desktop Games on Windows 8 Consumer Preview

If your favorite game isn't working on Windows 8, it is likely some specific appcompat issue. If it ran on Windows 7, then probably runs on Windows 8 Consumer Preview. If it didn't run on Windows 7, then I wouldn't expect it to necessarily work on Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:42 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure I understood your question well.

If i did, the answer is that you do not need to include redistributable directx libraries in your project distribution, I believe all windows 8 devices will come with DirectX pre-installed.

• Edited by Enarax Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:46 PM misspelling
    Tuesday, March 27, 2012 12:45 PM
  • "DirectX" is already installed on Windows 8 Consumer Preview. It is essentially the same as Windows 7 with the addition of the new DirectX 11.1 runtime features (Direct3D 11.1, DXGI 1.2, WDDM 1.2, and WARP with Feature Level 11.0 support).

Some of your games may make use of 'optional' DirectX SDK components as well as "DirectX" such as D3DX9 or XAUDIO2, in which case the game's installer should be deploying them using DirectSetup which works on Windows 8. Older versions of DirectSetup trigger the appcompat behavior to enable the .NET 3.5 Runtime support that is off by default on Windows 8 Consumer Preview and is needed to successfully run the older versions of DirectSetup.

You can also run the most current "DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer" to get all the 'optional' bits on your Windows 8 system, but it doesn't actually do anything at all like "Install DirectX" on any version of Windows since Windows XP Service Pack 2 in 2004.

See Not So Direct Setup, DXWSETUP Update, DXSETUP Update, and Desktop Games on Windows 8 Consumer Preview

If your favorite game isn't working on Windows 8, it is likely some specific appcompat issue. If it ran on Windows 7, then probably runs on Windows 8 Consumer Preview. If it didn't run on Windows 7, then I wouldn't expect it to necessarily work on Windows 8 Consumer Preview.

Tuesday, March 27, 2012 6:42 PM