none
PDF Viewer in Metro / windows phone 8 application.

Question

• Hi,

I'm new to metro application development. I'm doing a magazine reader application for windows 8 & windows phone 8. The  magazine pages are in pdf  format, doing many search, i came to know that there is no native pdf control for metro app as well as windows phone 8 app.Is there any other method to view pdf inside the application?? I have seen some suggested third party tools(eg: foxit,pdf.net etc), but they don't meet my need. Any help would be appreciated..!!!!!!!!

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:26 AM

Answers

All replies

• no.. think the 3th party controls are the best way to go..

or develop one yourself

Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer - Windows Store Apps Using C#

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:34 AM
  • SyncFusion has a library called Essential PDF which is part of their Win RT control set.

I am using their Excel library and liked it buy it after playing around with the trial.

Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:11 PM
  • Hi,

I'm new to metro application development. I'm doing a magazine reader application for windows 8 & windows phone 8. The  magazine pages are in pdf  format, doing many search, i came to know that there is no native pdf control for metro app as well as windows phone 8 app.Is there any other method to view pdf inside the application?? I have seen some suggested third party tools(eg: foxit,pdf.net etc), but they don't meet my need. Any help would be appreciated..!!!!!!!!

Why don't the controls fit your needs? What do you need to do specifically? I have been researching this for a while. There's no cheap alternative, but there are a number of them available now.
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 4:43 AM
  • SyncFusion has a library called Essential PDF which is part of their Win RT control set.

I am using their Excel library and liked it buy it after playing around with the trial.

This doesn't support viewing PDFs.
    Friday, February 08, 2013 12:51 PM
  • Import and Stamp

Essential PDF provides built-in support for importing pages from existing PDF documents.

You can also stamp the imported content with either text or an image. Overlay Documents The "Import" feature lets users overlay the pages from different PDF documents one over the other. The screenshot below shows the resultant document created by applying the border specified in the first document on all the pages in the second document.

Image and Text Extraction

Essential PDF can be used to extract images and text from a PDF document.

OCR

Essential PDF uses the Tesseract OCR engine to convert unsearchable text found within images found inside PDF documents to searchable text. The converted PDF document looks identical to the original but adds the extra capability to search, select and copy text.

Load Document

An existing PDF document can be loaded and customized. To open an existing PDF document for further manipulations, use the PdfLoadedDocument class. Its constructor allows you to specify the file name, stream or byte array as the source of the document data and the password for the encrypted documents.

PdfLoadedDocument ldDoc = new PdfLoadedDocument(filename);User Guide Template
    PdfLoadedDocument ldDoc = new PdfLoadedDocument(memoryStream);
    PdfLoadedDocument ldDoc = new PdfLoadedDocument(byte);
    PdfLoadedDocument ldDoc = new PdfLoadedDocument(filename,password);
    PdfLoadedDocument ldDoc = new PdfLoadedDocument(memoryStream,password);
    PdfLoadedDocument ldDoc = new PdfLoadedDocument(byte,password);

• Edited by G_J_P Friday, February 08, 2013 3:12 PM
    Friday, February 08, 2013 3:09 PM
  • Third party tools often convert PDF to Image (eg: foxit), doing so clarity of page will not be the same. That's why i said they don't fit my needs. If there is no alternative, can you suggest some free tools??

• Edited by AswathyK Tuesday, February 12, 2013 8:16 AM
    Tuesday, February 12, 2013 7:26 AM
  • component one is the only vendor I know that has a pdf viewer control

https://www.componentone.com/SuperProducts/StudioWinRTXAML/

Tuesday, February 12, 2013 12:40 PM
  • Rendering PDFs in Windows Store apps has become really easy with Windows 8.1.

Windows 8.1 now has PDF rendering APIs and ability to save as images. Check out samples @

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/PDF-viewer-sample-85a4bb30

Documentation is @ http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/apps/dn263465

Saturday, August 24, 2013 10:58 AM