Windows 8.1 RT issues: Sites with Flash Player in WebView do not behave identically to 8

Question

• So, soon after downloading 8.1 RT preview on my Surface RT, I tried out my two published apps to see what changes will need to be made.

The most glaring issue to me is that Flash player is NOT automatically working in WebView as it was in the same app prior to the 8.1 preview install. In the prior OS build, the "You need Adobe Flash Player" error would flash on the screen briefly, but would quickly go away. (Note that the WebView in this particular situation is pointed to a YouTube page, which was an allowed Flash site until now.)

Is there now some new WebView property that we will now have to set to force-enable Flash? Will Flash be disallowed for most sites during preview? What gives? :)

My other complaint is that apps are still "snappable," but now at different sizes, and there is NO precisely analogous size, at least on the Surface RT, to the old snapped/filled views. It would seem to me that the Windows team should have at least preserved the prior sizes AND added the new options. Now, obviously developers should use more "responsive" techniques (in fact, I thought I had done so and was surprised that none of the new snapped sizings appeared as I expected), but still, one would hope for a "compatibility curve" here.

Jay in Atlanta

Thursday, June 27, 2013 5:12 AM

Answers

• Hi Jay,

Please post separate issues in separate threads.

WebView did not support Flash on Windows 8. This isn't new to Windows 8.1.

Can you provide a specific URL which has the problem? I get the same "You need Adobe Flash Player" error with the Window 8 Xaml WebView sample on Windows 8 and on Windows 8.1.

For the "snappable" issue, this is the "compatability curve". Windows 8 apps still get a snapped view if the window is sized small enough. The window is letterboxed so the user can size it flexibly and Windows 8 apps which don't to be sized between 320 and 768 pixels still work.

--Rob

Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:36 AM

All replies

• Hi Jay,

Please post separate issues in separate threads.

WebView did not support Flash on Windows 8. This isn't new to Windows 8.1.

Can you provide a specific URL which has the problem? I get the same "You need Adobe Flash Player" error with the Window 8 Xaml WebView sample on Windows 8 and on Windows 8.1.

For the "snappable" issue, this is the "compatability curve". Windows 8 apps still get a snapped view if the window is sized small enough. The window is letterboxed so the user can size it flexibly and Windows 8 apps which don't to be sized between 320 and 768 pixels still work.

--Rob

Thursday, June 27, 2013 8:36 AM
  • WebView did not support Flash on Windows 8. This isn't new to Windows 8.1.

Rob,

I do appreciate the response, and I do remember now from my own investigation in Feb '13 that you're absolutely correct.

Unfortunately, this appears to be a URL issue with the address itself. Here is just one example from YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3W4EVC3mfM&list=EC3C90C3C63847AD10&shuffle=434

This past weekend, I demoed the app with this exact above URL on a Surface RT running 8 and the content worked perfectly. Today, it neither works on a current 8 device or the Surface RT with 8.1. It displays the "You need Adobe Flash Player" and "hangs," whereas a few days ago it displayed the same error briefly and moved on to playing video.

This leads me to believe that the site itself, YouTube, used to dynamically switch to an HTML video player if it detected lack of Flash, and now it does not. The only other thing I can think of is that perhaps IE itself is now identifying itself differently even in 8 (not to mention 8.1 which has IE 11). If YouTube is handling based on user agent (which would be a mistake), then perhaps this is the issue.

Thanks anyway.

Jay

Jay in Atlanta

Thursday, June 27, 2013 3:36 PM