EventLog access for Windows 8.1

Question

• Hi,

we were asked to develop a Metro app showing a dashboard to easily manage a PC, taking a look at basic parameters to check it's health (free space on disc, memory usage, last backup, etc.).

We've found the Windows EventLog to be a great source for this: a lot of useful messages (disc almost full, low memory, last successful backup) are there.

I know that is not possible to browse EventLog with Win8 APIs, neither with Win32 and COM for Store apps, but I'm wondering if this will change with Win8.1, as I've seen the Diagnostic APIs have been enhanced - but can't really find the details of it.

In case it's still not possible, any ideas or hints on how we could develop such a Metro App dashboard?

Thanks a lot

Giovanni

Thursday, July 18, 2013 9:25 AM

Answers

• Hello Giovanni

No, there is nothing new in 8.1 to allow this.

Windows Store apps run in an execution environment (app container) and use an API (WinRT) that deliberately limits what the app can do in order to protect the end user.

Whilst the event logs contains lots of things that are useful, these are also things are sensitive and could be quite private. Therefore there is no way to access it.

Thanks

Doug

Thursday, July 18, 2013 3:12 PM