none
Renew your developer license for Window 8 - dialog box displays > 10 mins

Question

• I have just used VS2012 to create a new windows store app. I was prompted to renew my developer licence for Windows 8. After clicking 'Agree' a dialog box appears saying "renew your developer license for Windows 8 - contacting license server". After 10 minutes I got bored and clicked 'cancel'. I am able to reserve an App Name, so clearly my developer account is ok.

questions:

1. How can I get a developer licence?

2. Why doesn't the dialog box contain useful information like the status of the operation or an error message?

will stott

Saturday, February 02, 2013 9:39 AM

Answers

• Hi Rob,

Thanks for clarifying that getting a developer licence is not dependant on having a validated developer account.

I have two development machines - a desktop and a tablet pc which are both connected to the same network switch. I am having problems getting a licence for my tablet, but followed your suggestion and tried to get a developer licence for my desktop. This was successful, so I conclude the problem isn't a firewall or network issue. I suspect this is some sort of security problem with my tablet. I have tried running VS2012 as Administrator, but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Will

will stott

The problem has now been resolved without me making any changes to my tablet. Therefore I presume it was a problem at Microsoft's end. It would be good if Microsoft could explain what they did for the benefit of others
    • Marked as answer by wpqs Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:49 AM
    • Edited by wpqs Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:53 AM update
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:25 PM

All replies

• Hi,

First, please check if your network is OK, and then check if the Visual Studio is blocked by the firewall.

You can also get the license from the command line. If the firewall block the Visual Studio.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh974578.aspx

Best regards,
    Jesse

Jesse Jiang
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Develop and promote your apps in Windows Store
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Monday, February 04, 2013 10:21 AM
  • If the problem is caused by a firewall issue then why would opening the Developer Licence dialog box from powershell be any different from opening it from Visual Studio? Indeed, this proved to be the case when I followed your suggestion and tried using the powershell command Show-WindowsDeveloperLicenseRegistration.

It would be very helpful if there was some sort of message displayed in the dialog box besides "contacting licence server". I suspect the problem lies at the server-end not on my PC. However, to be sure could you give me a list of any special ports that are used by Developer Licence? I would also be useful to have a list of the steps you need to complete before you can get a licence, i.e.

1. Register as a  business developer

2.  Give credit card details

3. Wait for Microsoft to deduct a small amount from your credit card

4. Call your credit card company to get details of the above transaction

5. Complete verification of credit card by entering above transaction details

6. Use Visual Studio to get your licence

Forgive me, but this developer licence doesn't seem to have been thought-out very well. I have been a MSDN subscriber for >20 years, so Microsoft should know me very well. I also have a code signing certificate from Thawte so my business credentials have been checked. Surely this is enough?

will stott

Tuesday, February 05, 2013 7:33 AM
  • Hi Will,

The developer account and developer license are not directly related. Most of the steps (1-5) you mention are used to set up and validate your account on the store. Only step 6 (via Visual Studio or powershell) is needed for the developer license used to enable development on a given machine.

Problems acquiring developer licenses are best discussed in the tools forum, so I'll move this there for you. I'm not aware of any known situations which cause the license acquisition to hang, especially so early. Usually that part of the process is quick and then you should be asked for your Microsoft ID credentials.

Do you get this consistently? Is it only from one system? Have you previously had a developer license on this system? Are you connecting through a proxy server which may block the connection?

--Rob

Wednesday, February 06, 2013 8:38 AM
  • Hi Rob,

Thanks for clarifying that getting a developer licence is not dependant on having a validated developer account.

I have two development machines - a desktop and a tablet pc which are both connected to the same network switch. I am having problems getting a licence for my tablet, but followed your suggestion and tried to get a developer licence for my desktop. This was successful, so I conclude the problem isn't a firewall or network issue. I suspect this is some sort of security problem with my tablet. I have tried running VS2012 as Administrator, but the problem persists. Any ideas?

Will

will stott

The problem has now been resolved without me making any changes to my tablet. Therefore I presume it was a problem at Microsoft's end. It would be good if Microsoft could explain what they did for the benefit of others
    • Marked as answer by wpqs Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:49 AM
    • Edited by wpqs Sunday, February 10, 2013 9:53 AM update
    Thursday, February 07, 2013 2:25 PM