none
App submission stuck at "Content compliance" for more than 10 days!

Question

• I had submitted an app for Windows Store certification, the first 3 process go thru without any problems. When it come to "Content compliance", it stuck there for over 10 days!

I submitted the app on Oct 10, 2012, and till now nothing change on the status! If it fail? If it need additional clearification? If it need anything? No email communication at all! Wondering what is going on here!

In fact, I submitted similar app for Windows Phone a day later (Oct 11, 2012) and it already pass n published to the Windows Phone Store 3 days ago!

Anybody can enlighten me?

Thanks

Snake Chia
    http://www.nearby.com.my

• Edited by Shaw Chyn Monday, October 22, 2012 12:07 AM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 12:00 AM

Answers

• To be exact, this is what was communicated to us.

Submit your app by:

• Oct 5- to be assured a spot in the store by the launch date of Oct 26th IF this is the first submission (never certified before).
    • Oct 15 - to be assured a spot in the store IF your app was previously certified.

There are always exceptions of course, but these were the general guidelines given to us.

Cheers,

Rabbidfly

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:57 PM

All replies

• I can't enlighten you ... but I can share your pain - I too have been waiting almost ten days now, and have the same experience of finding Windows Phone certification going quite a bit faster than Windows 8.

Obviously that '7 days' is just a guideline, and not a very accurate one at that.  Sigh.

Jim Chapman

Monday, October 22, 2012 4:56 PM
  • Many apps have been submitted recently to go live in time with the Win8 launch on October 26th, and there are limited resources to manually certify aspects of these apps. The guidance we received was to submit an app for certification no later than October 15th to be assured a place in the store by the 26th. I'm confident your app will have enough time, however, if it should fail for whatever reason, then you will miss the launch date.

Unfortunately, it does not necessarily end there. The Cert process immediately fails once something is found, and there is no way of knowing of another issue downstream in the process without submitting once more. I understand why this is the case, but it doesn't generate confidence in your own timelines.

Cheers,

• Proposed as answer by Sly.Gryphon Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:18 AM
    Monday, October 22, 2012 5:08 PM
  • Hello,

Due to the high number of submissions it is taking longer than usual to test app submissions.

-Eric

Monday, October 22, 2012 8:54 PM
  • I'd 2 apps submitted, 1st on Oct 10, and 2nd on Oct 18. If according to your timeline, the 2nd app will miss the launch date, and the 1st app should be no problems. I hope it is the case, it shouldn't have much issue as it is the same app that I'd pass thru the Windows Phone, just a port over app from Windows Phone to Windows8, with a litter interface change and function taken out.

Lets kept the fingers cross, as today already Oct 23. :) 

Snake Chia http://www.nearby.com.my

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 1:04 AM
  • I submitted my app on October 15th, but wasn't able to complete the credit card validation step until October 17th.  Is it still possible for my app to be released on time?

kanno41 :)

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 5:40 AM
  • The guidance we received was to submit an app for certification no later than October 15th to be assured a place in the store by the 26th.

Obviously you would expect a rush just before the deadline (isn't that always the way :), but does anyone know / can anyone confirm if Microsoft is meeting their published deadlines?

For apps submitted Oct 15, we are looking at 11 day turn around time to meet what was advertised, so what is the current wait.

i.e. For anyone who has had their app approved today, or recently, when did you submit it?

Based on the above I hope the responses are apps submitted Oct 11 or later. For example, Shaw Chyn -- has your app progressed yet?

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 6:17 AM
  • I submitted a new release for an app on the 18th, and I just saw that it was listed in the Store today (the 23rd). So there's hope yet. :)

• Edited by Basputin Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:15 AM
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 7:14 AM
  • I am on the same queue as Shaw, submitted an app on Oct 10 2012 with personal account and it's still pending. One thing I noticed is that company dev account tends to have higher priority, both my apps for client submitted on 16th Oct have passed this stage.

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 9:49 AM
  • Based on the above I hope the responses are apps submitted Oct 11 or later. For example, Shaw Chyn -- has your app progressed yet?

I had my account verified, payout account set, tax verified; but the app submitted on Oct 10 still stuck at "Content compliance" since then. Really annoying, if it fail, then just fail it, so I can work it out, if it pass, it should just pass. If based on "11-days turn around", Oct 10 till Oct 23, err... is already 12 days already. (maybe still 11 days due to time zone different, as I'm at GMT+8)

Snake Chia http://www.nearby.com.my

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 10:28 AM
  • To be exact, this is what was communicated to us.

Submit your app by:

• Oct 5- to be assured a spot in the store by the launch date of Oct 26th IF this is the first submission (never certified before).
    • Oct 15 - to be assured a spot in the store IF your app was previously certified.

There are always exceptions of course, but these were the general guidelines given to us.

Cheers,

Rabbidfly

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 12:57 PM
  • Just to add to the confusion of conflicting advice ... I contacted Microsoft support with this question, and the answer was:

"Your app was submitted before October 15th so as long as it passes certification it will make it into the Windows Store by launch day"

No mention of any different deadline depending on whether it was a 'first' or 'subsequent' submission.

Jim Chapman

Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:05 PM
  • Yup, not surprised at the conflicting advice Jim. My guidance was given to me directly from the MS Canada Partner Account Manager. Ah well. It's probably moot advice now anyway, because if you haven't started the cert process, you're extremely unlikely to be there at launch.
    Tuesday, October 23, 2012 3:23 PM
  • I submitted a new release for an app on the 18th, and I just saw that it was listed in the Store today (the 23rd). So there's hope yet. :)

Hi Basputin,

How complex is your app and what all features if any does it use? Just trying to figure out if there are cetain apps that are approved faster than others.

Also, did you submit it as an independent developer or as a company??

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 4:31 PM

Hi Basputin,

How complex is your app and what all features if any does it use? Just trying to figure out if there are cetain apps that are approved faster than others.

Also, did you submit it as an independent developer or as a company??

Hi,

The app is a sort of frontend for a web store. It uses various external apis (so, internet access) and, among other things, uses search and share, updates the tile's badge, has semantic zoom, allows secondary tiles and uses roaming settings. This is it, if you want to take a look and judge the complexity: http://apps.microsoft.com/webpdp/nl-NL/app/wubbo/c3d1142d-2a9c-4ba1-a851-dc005348c702

It's in Dutch, but you can just try tapping and dragging stuff around to see what it does. Don't worry, you need an account at the store to actually buy something so you won't accidentally purchase anything.

I submitted it as a company. Also, this was the second release, although quite some things had changed. Apparently subsequent releases speed up the certification process, although I have no idea how since they still have to look at the entire thing. Maybe they get moved to a higher priority than first releases, though. I'm not sure.

Wednesday, October 24, 2012 5:39 PM
  • Not to rub salt in the wound, but I submitted a small update (technically it's exactly the same code except with a single if() statement around some code) on the 23rd and it is now in the store, roughly two days later. I'm guessing things are picking up.
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:09 AM
  • Submitted app on the 13th October; it passed certification on 25th October at 2am (UK time).  Not a functionally very complex app (7 pages, implementing a standard 3-level master-detail view) - but it does include D2D interops, and (therefore) separate builds for ARM, Intel 32 & Intel 64 bit.  That was a first-time submission, not an update, and an 'individual developer' account.

Jim Chapman

Thursday, October 25, 2012 7:24 AM
  • I submitted an app September 19th, which I pulled from the process 30 days later because it was still at the Content compliance step October 19th. By then I had improved the app so much that I didn't want it to be launched in that state anyway, so I resubmitted October the 20th (still waiting for that one of course). In other words: this varies a lot, and I allow myself to be highly skeptical to specific promises like "if you submit before the 15th, it will be ready for Win8 launch date". 
    Thursday, October 25, 2012 9:47 AM
  • Submitted app on Oct 15 and got reply Oct 25, so it looks like they made their deadline.

(Unfortunately for me the reply was a certification failure section 4.1 -- the default project template includes the internetClient permission, which I didn't need but left at the default; unfortunately the rules says you need a privacy policy if you request internetClient permission. Easy fix -- just remove the permission, and then rebuild, upload and submit the app, but still have to go back to the end of the queue :-(

On the plus side, I had made some other improvements/additional features to the app.

Sly

Friday, October 26, 2012 6:34 AM
  • Here's another piece of advice for you: If your app accesses any online service - no matter how innocent - set the age limit to 12 years+. I didn't read the fine print here and got rejected because my app was not suitable for kids.... Another 7 days down the drain.

Friday, October 26, 2012 9:53 AM
  • ...also I'm really surprised I didn't get any mail notifiying me of the failed (or accepted?) submission. Did you guys? This means you actually have to check the status periodically. 

edit: ..never mind it was in the junk folder. Good job Outlook.com mail filtering.

Friday, October 26, 2012 10:26 AM