none
Access to user mode drivers from metro style apps

Question

• Since access to Win32 based services is no longer available from a metro style app, we are planning to port that functionality to an user mode driver which would be stacked on top of the device driver for an internal device (Intel's ME). This user mode driver will have its own class ID and will add a device interface.
    Will the access model for such drivers be the same as that for any other internal device?
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 5:52 PM

Answers

All replies

• dzungductran,

Could you elaborate more about your plans? 

Best Wishes - Eric

Thursday, March 15, 2012 2:19 AM
  • I have multiple apps accessing my special device (Intel's ME). Currently on Win7 all the apps talk to a service which talk to the driver. So the service would manage the state and data for the device and make sure that all the apps play nicely with the HW. Since the Metro model is that there is no service and I have to package all my components include User mode driver with my app. How do you think I can accomplish the same functionality in Metro?

Thanks

Thursday, March 15, 2012 6:50 PM
  • Is this related to Intel AMT?
    Tuesday, March 20, 2012 5:58 PM
  • Yes, similar.

Thank you

Saturday, March 31, 2012 4:53 PM
  • dzungductran,

We are working on documentation to address that scenario, that we aim to post soon.

Best Wishes - Eric

Tuesday, April 03, 2012 6:15 PM
  • Any updates on this documentation?

Thanks

Wednesday, April 18, 2012 11:08 PM
  • Not yet...
    Friday, April 20, 2012 11:31 PM
  • I heard there is a whitepaper that was published. Can I get a link?
    Thursday, May 03, 2012 4:39 AM
  • I dont think you need to include the UMD within the package. I am doing something similar right now and you can install the UMD using the devcon utility. Once you do that you can open a handle to it from the Metro App and use DeviceIoControlSync to send IOCTL's to the UM driver.
    Friday, May 04, 2012 5:56 PM
  • I too am very curious about this whitepaper. My specific scenario is that I work for a client who has an existing application that communicates with a device over a virtual COM port (created over USB). The application is written in C# and uses the System.IO.Ports.SerialPort class. Now with Metro, I can't use that communication mechanism and am limited to a desktop application. I don't have the luxury of creating a sensor driver, since it doesn't fit in any of the predefined categories.

It would be great if we could see that Whitepaper discussed above. Will this even be possible in Win8?

I can think of ways to fake the serial port access... Communicate with some other proxy process that does have privileges to access the serial port. This communication can be a simple network I/O. HOwever, this seems unnecessarily complex...

Monday, May 07, 2012 11:04 PM
  • Laduran,

I am working on your request and will post under the new question you have opened.

Best Wishes - Eric

Wednesday, May 09, 2012 8:12 PM
  • Eric,

Any updates on this ? Since we have RTM versions, i assume there is some documentation or at least a solid answer to this question. 

I am still interested in accessing a software only user mode driver that is NOT associated with any device from a metro/Win8 app.

Any info appreciated. 

THanks

Thursday, August 30, 2012 3:20 PM
  • R_K,

You will need a device to access a driver from a Windows Store app.

Best Wishes - Eric

Friday, September 07, 2012 6:06 PM
  • THanks Eric.
    Friday, September 14, 2012 9:09 PM
  • You are very welcome R_K.

Best Wishes - Eric

Friday, September 14, 2012 9:31 PM
  • Since the UMD cannot be software and has to be attached to a device, could it work if the device is WiFi/Bluetooth?

Thanks.

Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:24 PM
  • Does the hardware device belong to you?

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 12:47 AM
  • Yes, the card belongs to us.
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:56 AM
  • Would the purpose of the driver be to communicate with the device or to allow communication between apps or both?  Communication between apps is not allowed. 

Windows Store apps can talk to your own device through a driver as long as the device, driver, app and metadata meet all of the requirements.

Windows Store apps can not talk to Desktop apps in anyway.

Windows Store apps can not talk to Desktop apps through a driver.

Best Wishes - Eric 

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 6:24 PM