none
App Certification Failed

Question

• Hello everyone.

I'm having issues getting my app to pass certification.

On the first submission to the store, it failed because I did not provide a privacy policy.  That was an easy fix.  Of course this was in the 4.* section of the requirements so the app did pass the WACK on my machine and i'm assuming also the store.  That only took three days.

I then resubmitted the app and after six days the app failed the "content compliance" section of certification because of the reason below:

---------------------

Content compliance: failed
    This test evaluates your software for content compliance with Windows Store Certification Requirements. Learn more
    Your app doesn't meet requirement 3.8. Learn more
    The launch time and suspend time of an app depends on many variables, such as system load and configuration, which can vary from one computer to another and from one test to another. Because of this variability, a launch time or a suspend time that is just under the limit in one instance could be just over the limit, and fail the test, in another.If the app's launch time or suspend time is close to the limit, review what the app is doing to handle those events and look for ways to reduce that activity.
    A:: This app failed performance test in the Windows App Certification Kit. The Performance Analyzer for HTML5 Apps enables you to find common performance issues in your app that prevent it from being fast and fluid. The tool tests your apps in a wide variety of scenarios including fast UI responsiveness, fluid graphics animations, activation time, suspend times, memory foot print, memory leaks, Idle efficiency, and touch responsiveness

-------------------

This is very confusing because the app passes the WACK on multiple dev machines, a VM and other computers.  Also I would assume that the app passed the WACK during the first submission.  I also don't understand why it took six days for the store to let me know that it did not pass automated testing, that is very bad on my end.

On load all the app does is start a ProgressRing and makes an asynchronous RESTfull call for some JSON data.  The call usually takes < 1 second even when making the call from another country than the host service.  So it is fast and we have tested a lot with start-up, suspend and resume.  On resume we just decided to refresh the page to avoid dead data.  This all passes the WACK locally.

I'm lost and not sure how to solve this problem.  Any ideas?

I then 
    I then 

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 4:06 PM

Answers

• The problem has been resolved.

A MS support rep let me know that an app can fail 3.8 if you support the ARM architecture.  Unless you attended the BUILD 2011 conference you have no way to test on an ARM device.  He suggested re-submitting the app as x86/x64 only and make an ARM build after you have verified it on a ARM device released when Windows 8 comes out.

It's annoying and I wish this was crystal clear in documentation instead of implied, but it resolved my cert problem.

• Marked as answer by sCoolTV Monday, October 15, 2012 2:07 PM
    Monday, October 15, 2012 2:07 PM

All replies

• Go here and contact them
    https://getsupport.microsoft.com/?scrx=1

Windows-8, Wp7 Developer Microsoft Student Partner AnyTime Help..

Thursday, October 11, 2012 4:59 AM
  • Just another case of the store cert people not doing their job. They are required to send a details cert analyse back to us. Why is that so difficult. Why do they make their life also so much more difficult. So far its all guess work. So you fix something that might not be actually broken. Then they have to test it again. It fails again. They fail to mention details why it failed again. They might be giggling though: "hehe, he did not find the problem and fixed something else instead.hehe". Maybe it would have been a good idea to have the testers certified first ^_^
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:23 PM
  • I reached to a Microsoft Israel representative.  He took my .appxupload debug files and a copy of my WACK report and couldn't find anything wrong with the application.  He said we followed all of the guidelines.  I even proved that we did not have any code other than the MS template for suspend/resume.  We were specific to make sure the app starts up and resumes as quickly as possible.

The only suggestion I was given was to re-submit.  So this looks very bad when talking to non-technical people because they expect the app to pass certification if nothing is wrong.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:40 PM
  • The problem has been resolved.

A MS support rep let me know that an app can fail 3.8 if you support the ARM architecture.  Unless you attended the BUILD 2011 conference you have no way to test on an ARM device.  He suggested re-submitting the app as x86/x64 only and make an ARM build after you have verified it on a ARM device released when Windows 8 comes out.

It's annoying and I wish this was crystal clear in documentation instead of implied, but it resolved my cert problem.

• Marked as answer by sCoolTV Monday, October 15, 2012 2:07 PM
    Monday, October 15, 2012 2:07 PM
  • Uhmmm... Point 3.8 does not mention anything about architecture. That's totally misleading.

Beside that, how can they know you do not have a ARM device running Win8 to test your app?

Monday, October 15, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Do you have an ARM device?

I talked to the support rep and he said the only ARM devices running Win8 were made available to BUILD 2011 attendees (lucky b**t***s).  The MS rep suggested that I either drop ARM support or wait until GA and buy a Win8 ARM device to test using.

Monday, October 15, 2012 2:34 PM
  • You could have gotten your hands on pre-market devices maybe. MS can not be sure you do not have access to such a device already. 3.8 still does not mention "device incompatibilities". We cannot work with such "specs".
    Monday, October 15, 2012 2:39 PM
  • I think you are confused.

The app failed because it uses MS Media Framework and the testers tested it using an ARM device.  They reported that it took too long to suspend/resume.  I was saying that we, as developers, most likely will not have access to a Win8 ARM device.  The advice given to me was to either purchase one when the time comes to run performance tests, or to submit the app using x86/x64 appxupload files instead of AnyCPU.  The testers will not test using an ARM device if you drop support for it.

So my gameplan is to release the app for PCs first, get an early ARM device and then build a ARM-compatible version of the app.

I do agree that 3.8 is muddy at best.  I also agree that testers testing apps using ARM devices is more-or-less implied and seems outright unfair when at this point, only BUILD developers have had access to ARM devices.  It also bugs me that there are a lot of certification failures on this message board for 3.8 during the "Content Compliance" phase which means that someone from MS should make a sticky as a reminder to devs about the whole ARM situation.

Monday, October 15, 2012 2:46 PM
  • BUILD 2011 developers got x86 devices at the event, not ARM devices.  I can't speak for anyone who may have gotten an ARM device much later under some other program, such as TAP.  I certainly didn't get one.
    Saturday, October 20, 2012 8:09 PM
  • I'm having the same problem with app submissions.  Each time I run the app cert tool on my dev machine and test WinRT Surface device, it passes all tests.  So, I submit it to the store, and they reject it because of 3.8 (startup time).  So, I re-submit without making any changes, and then they pass it.  This is a huge waste of time.  They need to either fix the WACK tool, or relax the requirements a little or something.
    Tuesday, April 02, 2013 4:34 PM