none
TooltipService crashes with NullReferenceException and no further exception information (Exception Code 80004003) when binding to property returning null

Question

• I'm delevoping an app and I have some serious Problems with an NullReferenceException I can't handle.

When using the debbuger the app crashes here (screenshot) with an NullReferenceException and no further information. I also configured my Visual Studio to stop every time a NullReferenceException is thrown, but it doesn't stop anywhere.

I stared the app in the release-mode and uploded the WER Report file here: Report.wer

It shows an exception code of 80004003 which I identifed as INVALID_POINTER exception, but I'm not able to figure out where the problem ist.

• Edited by tkrasinger Monday, November 12, 2012 10:56 AM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 9:09 AM

All replies

• Go to DEBUG\Exceptions tick all Thrown-CheckBoxes - this should throw the exception directly where it occurs.

Does the app crash at startup or just randomly, even if you do not interact with it?

Life is unsure - always eat the dessert first!

Monday, November 12, 2012 9:47 AM
  • There is a problem with the tooltipService. I used a binding for the tooltip of an button. When the Property for the tooltip changes and returns null (instead of some string), the app crashes.

Here the sample Project: TooltipProblem.zip

Monday, November 12, 2012 10:35 AM
  • You might consider opening a support case for assistance with this: 

http://aka.ms/StoreSupport

If you're skilled at WinDbg debugging, you could attach either DebugDiag or WinDbg to capture either a dump or do a live debug.

Matt Small - Microsoft Escalation Engineer - Forum Moderator
    If my reply answers your question, please mark this post as answered.

NOTE: If I ask for code, please provide something that I can drop directly into a project and run (including XAML), or an actual application project. I'm trying to help a lot of people, so I don't have time to figure out weird snippets with undefined objects and unknown namespaces.

Monday, November 12, 2012 2:51 PM